• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Very very new to the D&D world.

Tyler Pines

First Post
Im trying to find someone who can help me out in this world of D&D. Ive decided on becoming a Human
Cleric. But at the same time, I have no idea what i am doing since I have only played 1 time months ago.
Could someone take me under their wing? Im iffy on giving any personal contact info but what I will give is
my email, even though it has my name and initials haha. tylercp012@gmail.com. If you would be willing
to help, shoot me an email. Im legitimately trying to get into this world of D&D.

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
Very very new to the D&D world.

I’m sure folks will be happy to help you right here on the forums, Tyler. Welcome to EN World!

What do you want to know?

By 'World of D&D', do you mean the world in which most games are set? or the general 'D&D scene'?

The default setting for 5e D&D is called the Forgotten realms, and there is a lot of information on it around online. But different games might be set in different settings, either another published setting like Greyhawk or Eberron, or a world that your DM has created themselves. (Homebrew)

Tyler Pines

First Post
Morrus, email me about this. I need some serious "Mr. Miagi" style info about this world.
Kobold - The general scene being that, one: i dont know how to role play my select class, and 2: i have no idea how to do the d and d life

Tyler Pines

First Post
I just dont know what to do, what character style to choose, how to act due to story line, how to act when conflict arises. is there somewhere i can go to learn d and d well for new people?

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
I just dont know what to do, what character style to choose, how to act due to story line, how to act when conflict arises. is there somewhere i can go to learn d and d well for new people?

Yep, right here! You've found the place!

So in D&D you play a single character, and somebody else - called the Dungeon Master - runs the game for you and the other players. The Dungeon Master describes the situation to you, and then you decide how you want to react. You can do anything you like. The Dungeon Master then tells you the results of that action (he might ask you to roll some dice).

Have you played an RPG video game? Think of it like that, except instead of a computer running it, it's a human being -- and because it's a human being, your choice of actions is infinite.

As for which character to choose - I find a good way to start is to think of a fantasy heroic character you like from the movies or TV. One of the Lord of the Rings characters? King Arthur? Somebody from a book you read?

is there somewhere i can go to learn d and d well for new people?
Yes, at the table with the other players!

Seriously though, just make sure you read a few chapters in the Player's Handbook, specifically chapters 2, 3 and 4, and within those chapters specifically those parts that are about your character's race, class and background. Altogether that is something like 4-6 pages of text, which is not much.
After that, just invent some fun story how your character got to where it is. And if you don't understand the world you are in (which is up to the DM to describe, not us here on the forum), then just wait until the next session.

Most importantly: Don't Panic.

And we're NOT going to email you. I reported your post, and advised the mods to remove your email from the post.

robus

Lowcountry Low Roller
Supporter

Is this character for a game you're joining? Or are you starting a game of your own? I think we need a little more introduction to your situation - but this thread will be an excellent place for a whole bunch of people to provide all the advice you need.

But first things first. Have you got a Players Handbook? Or at least read the basic rules?

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads