• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 4E Veteran, balanced group gives 4E a whirl

fafhrd

First Post
It may be worth noting that you only get one immediate action per round. The fighter's anti-shifting Combat Challenge is an immediate, so provided your foemen are willing to make a sacrifice, they could shift away with a loss.

leifthelucky

First Post
I read that bit about only one immediate action as well, but I also read that you get one opportunity attack per opponent - and there is no point in stating that unless you are able to make more than on AoO per round. The Boneclaw (I believe) has a Relentless Opportunist ability which allows for more than one AoO per opponent (say you draw two AoO in round, he would get both on you) so this would seem to contradict the immediate action rule.

leifthelucky

First Post
OK, thanks, that clears that up then. So foes still can't stream by the fighter after the lead one draws the hit, but shifting by kobolds can be done safely after one draws the Combat Challenge. Hmm.

SOooo, that means that the fighter cannot stop someone from shifting, even if he hits 'em, because it's not an opportunity attack (unless you read the "move provoked attack" line of Combat Superiority VERY broadly).

Good, I think that would free up combats a bit. It wouldn't have affected our game much because the kobolds weren't serious threats and the hobgoblin warriors wound up seperated, but it's nice to know they could have shifted a little more freely.

Last edited:

AZRogue

First Post
Excellent write up, amigo! Nicely done, and helpful. I like to think of a system in terms of how it plays as well as how it looks on paper, out of game. The reviews we've been seeing are very helpful!

DeusExMachina

First Post
I'm pretty sure the rules also state that if you push/pull/shift enemies you may always cut the movement short earlier if you want, so it's up to 5 squares at the cleric's disgression. Also, involuntary movement never places someobody into place he wouldn't be able to walk, so unless those undead would just be able to walk up that wall, they would stop there and not be pushed further...

Chris_Nightwing

First Post
Cheers for the playtest info! Don't forget that you roll separately for each person hit by an area effect power, but everyone hit takes the same damage. I'm going to do a minor update to the adventure to correct a skill (having read the more recent rules exposition from DDXP) when I get the internet back at home.

Remove ads