Video Card Advice

JediSoth

Voice Over Artist & Author
Epic
Howdy Folks,

I've been shopping for a new video card and I was wondering what y'all would recommend as a replacement for my GeForce FX 5300 (128 MB, PCI Express)? I want something that's significantly newer, since I know the FX5300 was basically a GeForce 4MX ported over to PCI Express. I'm running a P4 3.0 GHz (Prescott) with 512 MB of RAM. Most of my gaming is stuff like Neverwinter Nights, Morrowind and various FPS (Half-Life 2, Far Cry, etc.)

I've been looking at some Radeon X700 Pros with 256MB of RAM, but just thought some of y'all would have suggestions. I'd like to stay under $175. Thanks.

The_Universe

First Post
Well, if you had an AGP board you could get a Radeon 9800 Pro for under 175, but since you've adopted PCI Express, you're stuck in slightly more expensive territory.

I found a 256MB Radeon X800 starting at $190 on www.pricewatch.com (a great place to shop around for computer parts). An example is here: http://www.monarchcomputer.com/Merc...e=M&Product_Code=190696&AFFIL=pricewatch&NR=1. If you're playing Half Life and its ilk, Radeon cards are definitely the way to go. That being said, if you're into the MMORPG genre, I'm told that Nvidia's cards perform slightly better.

JediSoth

Voice Over Artist & Author
Epic
I've been looking at the X800 line and they sound pretty good. I don't plan on playing anymore MMORPGs...I still remember all too well my EverQuest addiction (2 years since I quit Cold Turkey and counting...).

I've been following the prices at Newegg.com, and it seems they fluctuate almost daily.

JediSoth

The_lurkeR

First Post
X700 PRO < 6600GT < X800

$125 - $155 - $175

The X700 is roughly the performance equivalent of the 9800 Pro that The Universe mentioned. That would have been my recomendation if you were still AGP as well. Any of those choices would be good, and a big step up from what you have now. I wouldn't sweat too much over the 256 megs of ram thing, very few games really use that still.

The prices fluctuate daily, but don't usually stray too far. (10% + or -) Keep a close eye on the shipping/handling charges. They'll often lower the items price but jack the handling cost, or vice-versa. (Free shipping, but higher price)

Remove ads