• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

My last hope...NWN2 & Vid Cards

Missywelden

First Post
*sigh* My hubby and I got Neverwinter Nights 2 for Christmas. We have been through so much to get the right video card, which took forever just to find. We just got it Monday to realize we needed a higher version. I have looked high and lo for the version we need and I can't seem to find it. So I guess my question is this:

Are there any GeForce PCI FX (yeah I know, but our computer is too old for PCI-E) 6600 (that is the clincher) 256mb video cards in existance, or are they all PCI-E?

I am starting to think they don't...but maybe it is just rare....please say I can play my game *sniffle*...I am dying inside... :uhoh:

Steel_Wind

Legend
There are a large number of AGP 7600 and 7800 cards available. The 7800GS is quite decent and about 150 after mail-in rebate.

Browse and purchase from the filtered link at Newegg here: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...069609639+106790717&Submit=ENE&SubCategory=48

You'll be doing Lord Nasher's bidding in no time.

(Oh - Bracebridge, ON. Ok - you can browse the link above - but order from a Canadian supplier. Tigerdirect.ca or PCvillagecanada.com ship to Bracebridge. Newegg does not.)

Last edited:

Agamon

Adventurer
I hate to tell someone they can't play NWN2, but PCI FX series only went to 6200, as far as I know (and those are hard to find compared to the 5500 series).

I'm pretty certain of that, but maybe I'm wrong...?

Edit: Steel Wind's got a good point, do you have an open AGP slot?

Wow, an all-Canuck thread so far.... :p

Last edited:

Missywelden

First Post
As far as I know we only have PCI, and I am pretty sure they are all the same size. What does an AGP slot look like and I can tell ya'?

trancejeremy

Adventurer
If there some reason you need a nvidia card? While I don't know anything about the peformance of it, apparently there is a x1300 ATI card for PCI

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16814129062

It might be able to run NWN2...

However, I think you'd more likely be better off putting the money towards a newer computer. And quite frankly, you really don't want to play NWN2 - it's terrible. At least wait for the first EP pack to come out...

Flexor the Mighty!

18/100 Strength!
A PCI only system is probably got more problems with NWN2 than just inability to run a good video card. What kind of CPU does that system have? You are much better off getting a new rig I'm afraid. I can't see you getting decent performance out of that system in any event.

Rl'Halsinor

Explorer
Can you give us your systems specs? We could give better advice if we new the following:

Windows Operating System
CPU (Intel or AMD and what kind)
Motherboard
RAM (512 mb, 1 Gig, 2 Gig)

Also, is this a Dell, Gateway, or did someone put this together for you?

I don't agree that NWN2 isn't worth playing, but it's definitely a pig.

I wouldn't think any non-AGP or -PCI express era system would be up to the load, no matter the graphics card. Although there are probably a lot of PCs with sub-standard integrated graphics and no AGP slot that might be capable processor,etc wise.

Remove ads