Virtual Happy Hour (Brews & Spirits, Pics & Reviews)

Zardnaar

Legend
Are there beers without labels? (Now I'm curious. It was "my" in one of my favorites to buy, not one I make).

And now I'm not sure if I should be curious or horrified. How do they taste?

I've been drinking cans more now some beers only have very small labels and an embossed bottle. Crap NZ beer has crappy labels that may not even be in straight.

Need to try a few more pickle beers drunk one Christmas 2021 and samples on Christmas 2022.

Not terrible but not really my thing either.

Zardnaar

Legend
Only had a Guinness since Christmas time. Going camping soon. Thought I would see how much Peter can hold.

IMG_20230108_140502.jpg

Monteith's Juicy Hail Pale Ale 5%

Think I've reviewed this one before. Not sure

Monteith's generally is decent. The owners tend to make meh beer and imho Monteith's is best of what they have. It's an old regional beer bought out by one of the big boys.

Right here right now nice sunny day gonna give it an 8. Thumbs up

Peter held 3 cans.

Cadence

Legend
Supporter
First Happy Hour of the New Year Yesterday. Sweet Baby Java by DuClaw.

"Our single bestselling beer of all time, Sweet Baby Jesus! Chocolate Peanut Butter Porter, Hop Gunned with cold-steeped, whole bean espresso to infuse it’s iconic, lightly sweet chocolate and peanut butter flavor and aroma with warm notes of coffee… without any additional bitterness! One sip of Sweet Baby Java and you’ll wonder, “Where has this bean all my life?”

It was kind of odd in that the coffee of each sip hit you at the end. Good, but I might like Sweet Baby Jesus better by itself.

PXL_20230106_214045474.jpg

Zardnaar

Legend
First Happy Hour of the New Year Yesterday. Sweet Baby Java by DuClaw.

"Our single bestselling beer of all time, Sweet Baby Jesus! Chocolate Peanut Butter Porter, Hop Gunned with cold-steeped, whole bean espresso to infuse it’s iconic, lightly sweet chocolate and peanut butter flavor and aroma with warm notes of coffee… without any additional bitterness! One sip of Sweet Baby Java and you’ll wonder, “Where has this bean all my life?”

It was kind of odd in that the coffee of each sip hit you at the end. Good, but I might like Sweet Baby Jesus better by itself.

View attachment 271635

Now you're just showing off!!

Zardnaar

Legend
Kilkenny Irish Red Ale 4.3%
IMG_20230109_173839.jpg

Family was in town tonight so went out for drinks and dinner on a Monday. Beautiful night for it. Barmaid said it was a red ale with Guinness froth on top.

And yeah very smooth and creamy quite enjoyed it a lot. Turns out that gimmick Guinness nitrogen trick works.

78 on Beer advocate

I'm gonna be generous and give it a 85. Could have easily done another and one more.

Followed it up with this.
IMG_20230109_182939.jpg

It was fine. 6.5-7 being generous. It's Corona. Drinkable but pointless there's better macro beers for cheaper. Even on a hot summer night eating pizza.

Would have been happy to order at the Irish pub but 14 year old niece wanted a mocktail and pasta!!!

Zardnaar

Legend
Wife brought home some Mexican coke to try. As in cola derp.

At first I thought it tasted like NZ coke. We don't use corn syrup either. I'm not a coke fiend though. Barely touch the stuff. I've been helping the father in law finish off his jugs of coke and raspberry.

Not 100 % sure I would need to have them side by side but the NZ coke seems to have a slightly stronger flavour but I would have to get a can and sample them side by side to be sure.

Last edited:

payn

He'll flip ya...Flip ya for real...
Wife brought home some Mexican coke to try. As in cola derp.

At first I thought it tasted like NZ coke. We don't use HFCS either. I'm not a coke fiend though. Barely touch the stuff. I've been helping the FIL finish off his jugs of cake and raspberry.

Not 100 % sure I would need to have them side by side but the NZ coke seems to have a slightly stronger flavour but I would have to get a can and sample them side by side to be sure.
This post… I know what you’re talking about but…

Zardnaar

Legend
Fuller's London Porter 5.4%

IMG_20230115_123342.jpg

Only had two beers last week. Woke up with shaking hands and a headache. Think some blood accidentally got into my alcohol stream.

Bought this one after bypassing a 6 pack of last week's Kilkenny. Poured a nice creamy head reminiscent of Guineas but it didn't last long.

Initially creamy and a bit bitter which gave way to a stronger coffee flavour presumably roasted malt. Recently aquired a coffee machine so that's a plus. Also I refrigerated it a bit to much so drinking it slowly.

Well I'm used to insuling the UKs food, public figures, royals, weather, food, bad teeth etc. My taste buds aren't overly patriotic and this beers pretty damn good. Can't really in good conscience insult their ales/porters/stouts. Just deviant Germans on the throne.

Anyway I'm enjoying it warm day here and more I drink the better it gets. I don't really have that much experiencewith porters for a fair rating so it's a thumbs up. Stronger flavour over say Guiness with the stronger 5.4% being obvious.

Should have used Igor over Kate he holds more. Peter can hold two cans with room left over.

I did get a shock checking beer advocate however.

93 derp not bad for a blind purchase. I'll go with that it's pretty good and who am I to say otherwise?

Last edited:

Zardnaar

Legend
Thatchers Gold Apple Cider 4.6%

IMG_20230115_143126.jpg

Only bought one beer. There's a flaw in my plan. Breaking out the cider (why idk). Theoretically going camping in Friday.

I like the other two ciders better it's drinkable 6/10 wouldn't buy it again.

Remove ads