D&D 5E Virtual Online Tabletop for 5e

tlackemann

First Post
I also enjoy being able to automate rolls so it should at the very least be an option I think. Making sort of a variable sheet for monsters would also be very useful.

Checking out the beta of the tabletop is for sure something I would like to do.

Leaning towards option (customization is everything). Noted variable sheet for monsters.Thanks!

I'm sincerely curious about your thoughts on online tabletop gaming. What appeals to you most about the existing online tabletops now? What would you want to see in an ideal virtual online tabletop?

What's important to me;
1) Architecture. The content has to reside on my computer and the application can not be dependent upon your servers. I won't invest if when you go out of business I don't have access to everything I did before.
2) Combat management. Automatic tracking of everything needed for combat, including; targeting, hit points, armor class, effects, conditions, spells, resistances, immunities, saves, creature/NPC types, initiative, wounds, temporary hit points
3) Battle maps. Scale, grid control (grid line color and styles, including invisible), token sizing based upon creature size and effect size (yes, tokens or graphics for persistent effects). Layers/groups or the ability to set various categories of objects (so I can have control on secrets, furniture, effects, PC's etc). Option to control token movement. Distance calculations, both for range and movement. Dynamic line of sight. Pins/links on maps to other objects such as story entries, NPC's, etc. Accommodation for secret doors, unseen creatures or other things.
4) Sound effects, both soundscapes and triggered sounds (manually triggered and automated sounds such as on a critical hit, or when something is revealed on a map).
5) Offical WotC content
6) Support for community content, both for private use and distribution and/or sale to the community
7) Custom race, class, feature, items, weapons, armor, spells, abilities, effects, etc
8) Library of data objects, i.e. for when creating a creature such as drag and drop or pick list of abilities, attacks, etc (official and custom)
9) Game/Player finder for current and future games. Calendar, forum, something
10) Great user community
11) Great technical support
12) Marching order support, i.e. predefined maps (?) for various marching & camping configurations that can be used for battle maps
13) Architecture. See #1

There is an incredible entry hurdle to produce a commercially viable VTT. Many companies have failed in the last 5 years. I hope you make it. More competition and choice is a good thing.

tlackemann

First Post
1) Architecture. The content has to reside on my computer and the application can not be dependent upon your servers. I won't invest if when you go out of business I don't have access to everything I did before.

Absolutely agreed, we're leaning in this direction.

2) Combat management. Automatic tracking of everything needed for combat, including; targeting, hit points, armor class, effects, conditions, spells, resistances, immunities, saves, creature/NPC types, initiative, wounds, temporary hit points

Great suggestion and something we'll be looking into

3) Battle maps. Scale, grid control (grid line color and styles, including invisible), token sizing based upon creature size and effect size (yes, tokens or graphics for persistent effects). Layers/groups or the ability to set various categories of objects (so I can have control on secrets, furniture, effects, PC's etc). Option to control token movement. Distance calculations, both for range and movement. Dynamic line of sight. Pins/links on maps to other objects such as story entries, NPC's, etc. Accommodation for secret doors, unseen creatures or other things.

Noted. There is a lot of things we'll need to look into but all seems possible. Thanks!

4) Sound effects, both soundscapes and triggered sounds (manually triggered and automated sounds such as on a critical hit, or when something is revealed on a map).

We want to integrate with known services like Spotify/SoundCloud/Tabletop Audio so there's a seemless interface for controlling soundscapes and fx. Triggered sounds is something we didn't consider but are now, great idea.

5) Offical WotC content

We've reached out to WotC but not sure when/where that'll take place. It's something we highly desire ourselves.

6) Support for community content, both for private use and distribution and/or sale to the community

Got it.

7) Custom race, class, feature, items, weapons, armor, spells, abilities, effects, etc

Customization is the biggest thing on our list, we'll be sure to accommodate these needs.

8) Library of data objects, i.e. for when creating a creature such as drag and drop or pick list of abilities, attacks, etc (official and custom)

Noted and something we want as well, thanks!

9) Game/Player finder for current and future games. Calendar, forum, something

Agreed.

10) Great user community

11) Great technical support

100%. We are putting serious effort into communicating early and often during the process to make sure we're building the best VTT possible for the community. We absolutely want to support an amazing community.

12) Marching order support, i.e. predefined maps (?) for various marching & camping configurations that can be used for battle maps

Interesting idea, we'll definitely discuss.

13) Architecture. See #1

Got it :)

There is an incredible entry hurdle to produce a commercially viable VTT. Many companies have failed in the last 5 years. I hope you make it. More competition and choice is a good thing.

Thank you, we believe so too. As mentioned before, the community we grow is #1 next to the product. My experience has taught me some very valuable things about customer relationships and what it takes to build a great product. I'm hopeful we'll be building something awesome for you folks.

Sincerely thank you for taking the time to write up your suggestions and ideas.

We want to integrate with known services like Spotify/SoundCloud/Tabletop Audio so there's a seemless interface for controlling soundscapes and fx. Triggered sounds is something we didn't consider but are now, great idea.

Do be aware, at one point Roll20 integrated with Syrinscape. But the API was pulled/blocked/withdrawn and left the Roll20 community high and dry. Not sure what really happened behind the seens, just make sure you have a solid partnership whichever way you go.

tlackemann

First Post
Do be aware, at one point Roll20 integrated with Syrinscape. But the API was pulled/blocked/withdrawn and left the Roll20 community high and dry. Not sure what really happened behind the seens, just make sure you have a solid partnership whichever way you go.

Interesting and thanks for the heads up, I wasn't actually aware of that. Anything we do we plan on going through the proper gates to integrate. Can't say if that's the reason the API was pulled for Roll20 but that can never be good news.

RulesJD

First Post
I actually use a VTT for a different reason. *snip*

1. That is an AMAZING setup. I'm peanut butter and jelly.

2. That's not actually a Virtual Tabletop. That's an actual table top, with a digital screen. Very different needs but it seems like the original posters is asking about virtual tabletop recommendations.

ProphetSword

Explorer
2. That's not actually a Virtual Tabletop. That's an actual table top, with a digital screen. Very different needs but it seems like the original posters is asking about virtual tabletop recommendations.

We're currently using MapTools; because of all the VTT software I've used for this purpose, it gives me the most flexibility at the table. I run the game from my laptop and there's another computer inside the table that connects online to the game so that players can see everything in "player mode" on the screen (that way everything that is for DM's eyes only will be hidden). So, despite not having all the players on their own computers, we are still using it similarly to other people who play online (though the players prefer to use their own miniatures instead of digital ones).

We're not the only group that uses Virtual Tabletop software in this way. While most people will be using software of this nature completely online and separated from their players, there are those of us who will use it in a way that the developers might not have considered, which is the reason why I brought it up. It can't hurt to actually have the developer's ear on this and suggest a special niche or use that they can capitalize on, right?

Last edited:

Remove ads