D&D 5E Virtual Online Tabletop for 5e

tlackemann

First Post
First post here - hey!

A friend and I are currently building a new virtual online tabletop exclusive for DnD 5e. We've talked about it for ages and are finally starting to develop features we really want to see in existing software such as 3D map building, free standard asset packs, and better built-in communications (like Roll20 but exclusive to DnD with most of the premium features like dynamic lighting for free.) The product would be supported by a marketplace where users could buy and sell custom asset packs like character tokens, user stories, tilesets, etc.

I'm sincerely curious about your thoughts on online tabletop gaming. What appeals to you most about the existing online tabletops now? What would you want to see in an ideal virtual online tabletop?

We sincerely appreciate any feedback or interest you might have. We're really excited to build this with and for the DnD community.

https://rollplay.unicornheart.club/

On stuff I like. A feature I would like the ability to customize the layout. I don't really like in roll20 for example how you have to get rid of the chatbox to look at the other options in the menu.

You may already have this however. Once I am able to check out your beta I will expand a bit more.

First post here - hey!

A friend and I are currently building a new virtual online tabletop exclusive for DnD 5e. We've talked about it for ages and are finally starting to develop features we really want to see in existing software such as 3D map building, free standard asset packs, and better built-in communications (like Roll20 but exclusive to DnD with most of the premium features like dynamic lighting for free.) The product would be supported by a marketplace where users could buy and sell custom asset packs like character tokens, user stories, tilesets, etc.

I'm sincerely curious about your thoughts on online tabletop gaming. What appeals to you most about the existing online tabletops now? What would you want to see in an ideal virtual online tabletop?

We sincerely appreciate any feedback or interest you might have. We're really excited to build this with and for the DnD community.

https://rollplay.unicornheart.club/

(1) Text-accessible interface: it should be at least possible to drop a Hypnotic Pattern on a clump of orcs without clicking on a single button. Doesn't have to be natural language-based but it would sure be nice if it were smart enough to know that "cast Hypnotic Pattern" should default to casting it on the largest group of enemies instead of casting it on one's current location or throwing a "you must specify a target" error.

(2) Ability to smoothly handle extremely large battles. If I say, "You open the door and see 44 zombies come boiling out of it to attack you," I shouldn't be tempted to drop back to a whiteboard and ToTM in order to handle the battle. The product should make my life easier, not harder. Related to #1.

(3) Automation and machine learning capabilities, e.g. for learning more-effective zombie scripts, or for solving Internet arguments like "I bet a Warlock 10 could beat a Fighter 20" via Monte Carlo sim.

(4) Ability for the DM to prospectively or retroactively modify things by fiat, no matter what the rule engine says. "Actually there are two ogres here." "You're right, Brad, I forgot that you still have that magical boon. The ogre doesn't hit you--that is now a miss."

(5) Related to #2 and #4, should be usable on the fly as well as with pre-planned adventures. "Add ten ogres in random locations throughout the area" should be a thing it can do.

(6) Shareable (via URL) post-combat logs that are able to include non-combat activities, so you can see from the log all the roleplaying activities as well as the pure combat stuff. "Jack looks really mad that the ogre would say such things about Grizella. He snatches up a table leg and hits the ogre with it! 'She's NOT yummy, she's MY FRIEND!' Jack hits the ogre for 3 points of damage."

(7) Deeply transparent explanations available for why things happened. "Jack hits the ogre for 3 points of damage" is just a summary which can be drilled down to a full explanation of what the ogre's AC was, what Jack rolled, whether Jack used any resources like Superiority Dice on the attack, why he did or didn't use Superiority Dice if he had them, what dice were used for rolling Jack's damage, what features caused those dice to be selected, etc.

(8) Good path-finding for AI-controlled creatures. Doesn't have to be perfect but should look like something a real creature would do.

(9) Partial information capabilities. E.g. it should be possible to use this tool to automatically track the movement of ten off-screen ogres moving around through the dungeon while the players are examining the cooking pots in another. Then when four ogres suddenly show up all at once, it should be possible (after the fact) to show the players that the ogres were there all along, and that they were just attracted by the noise when the PCs started banging pots together. This allows you to play Kriegspiel-like scenarios without the players having to feel like the DM might be handwaving unfairly or cheating, because they get to audit the game afterwards.

Partial information scenarios, 3D (e.g. a fort with hanging bridges that let you go over things and tunnels that let you go under them), and large battles are some of the real killer apps for virtual tabletop software, because you can't really do them easily at a real tabletop.

I don't really expect you to create a VTT that has all these capabilities, but as I've been working on my own little hobby project these are some of the design requirements I've come up with for a useful 5E software tool. And if you do happen to have any of these capabilities I would definitely like to know about it. I see you support at least some AI PCs but from the web page I can't tell what the experience is like.

Last edited:

I'm curious about how much of hog this software would be on older computers without state of the art graphic cards and processors?

Will there be size restrictions when it comes to battle maps or dungeons? or is it all based on the horse power of your PC?

Do you have any screenshots posted of what t his can do?

Raising a kid is expensive so updating my 5 year old computer is kind of out of the question right now...lol

I've always wanted something like this, but I think I may need a new PC somewhere down the line.

(7) Deeply transparent explanations available for why things happened. "Jack hits the ogre for 3 points of damage" is just a summary which can be drilled down to a full explanation of what the ogre's AC was, what Jack rolled, whether Jack used any resources like Superiority Dice on the attack, why he did or didn't use Superiority Dice if he had them, what dice were used for rolling Jack's damage, what features caused those dice to be selected, etc..

I don't think AC should be listed on this. I kind of like players finding that out for themselves.

I don't think AC should be listed on this. I kind of like players finding that out for themselves.

So, (8), it should be possible to configure what information is available to players during play.

In the general case it's important to know all the factors (e.g. so the DM or Internet readers can audit a combat for mistakes), but you might want to temporarily hide some information from players. Good point.

RulesJD

First Post
Poster above listed desires for a video game, not a VTT.

1. Easy to use and access online character database. Roll20 has this to some extent, but it should be automated to extra your latest character from your "binder" of characters and slot them into a new adventure. Like how characters are stored in an MMO.

2. Automated rolling. Fantasy Grounds does this pretty well, Roll20 it is almost non-existent. If I click a target and hit Fire Bolt, have the dice rolled vs. AC calculated etc.

3. Players should be able to add and remove effects from themselves. Roll20 has almost no ability to add/remove effects, Fantasy Grounds can add effects but needs a specialized tool to let players remove them. Frees up the DM significantly.

4. Full integration of the rules. This is a MASSIVE licensing issue so good luck here, but drag and drop on level up that doesn't add the actual features is annoying. Have things like spells, class/race abilities, etc automatically built in and auto-level as the characters increase.

Remove ads