Vitriolic Sphere (Complete Arcane) Question

Pyrex

First Post
Scion said:
Hopefully aqua regia is easy to get ;)

If it doesn't have a cost listed in the spell, it's assumed to be included in your component pouch. :D

Random Trivia Note (for those who're curious and didn't already know): Aqua Regia is a combination of (I think equal parts of) concentrated Hydrochloric, Nitric and Sulfuric acids. It's called Aqua Regia (Translation: Royal Water) because it's one of the few corrosives that will dissolve gold.

shilsen

Adventurer
Pyrex said:
After reading the spell several times (and discussing it at length in a previous thread) here's the interpretation we came up with.

Round 1: Take yer damage & make a Ref save to negate continuing damage.
Round 2: If you failed your Round 1 save, 6d4, Ref 1/2. Succeeding at this save negates Round 3 damage entirely.
Round 3: If you failed both your Round 1 and Round 2 saves, take 3d4, Ref 1/2.
That's precisely how I read it. I really don't see the ambiguity in the wording for the spell, but that's apparently just me :)

Last edited:

Dimwhit

Explorer
Interesting. I'd probably rule that the initial save negates all damage, including the initial first round damage. But I agree it's poorly worded.

If I'm wrong, though, I disagree that it's underpowered. A spell that deals automatic damage in round 1 (no save) with no spell resistance? That's worth a 5th level spell for me easily.

Elder-Basilisk

First Post
I don't think it's particularly vague or poorly worded myself. It seems pretty clearly to indicate Patryn's reading. It could have been spelled out more explicitly but it's pretty clear the way its written.

However, I agree with Dimwhit's second statement. With that reading of the spell (which I should say is IMO, the only one supported by the text) it is not weak by any stretch of the imagination. Accounting for the saving throw, it deals about as much iniital damage on average as cone of cold does with a somewhat rarer damage type and is not subject to evasion. What's more, if the target fails the save, it reads like it's continual damage and inflicts another 9d4 damage over two rounds (save for half on each instance). Hit a spellcaster with it and he's not going to be casting any spells that round and he'll need a good concentration skill to do any the round after as well.

Dimwhit said:
Interesting. I'd probably rule that the initial save negates all damage, including the initial first round damage. But I agree it's poorly worded.

If I'm wrong, though, I disagree that it's underpowered. A spell that deals automatic damage in round 1 (no save) with no spell resistance? That's worth a 5th level spell for me easily.

Scion

First Post
Elder-Basilisk said:
it is not weak by any stretch of the imagination.

I think it would still be better as a 4th or 3rd level spell really. Maybe shorten the range to medium to make it third level (and of course changing the maximum damage potential, but that is a matter of it being a different level spell).

Looking at 5th level spells there are things like Cloudkill (death to some, d4 con damage to others, 4x the area, can be used over a much longer duration and very interesting potential in dungeons) and waves of fatigue (instant fatigue to a bunch of people.. ouch).

At third it would be like a fireball with lower immediate damagewith no save, potential for some extra damage the next round, and a quarter of the area. Which would be like a upgraded melfs acid arrow.

brehobit

Explorer
shilsen said:
That's precisely how I read it. I really don't see the ambiguity in the wording for the spell, but that's apparently just me :)
I agree on all counts. I think the wording is quite clear.

Dimwhit

Explorer
I just read the text in CA, and I do agree that there is no save for the initial damage. Everyone takes it. But a successful save negates the damage in the next two rounds.

I think it's a sweet spell.

Ayrk

First Post
In my opinion the poorly worded part is there is no reference to a save for the initial damage. If there was simply a sentence that said no save is allowed for the initial xd4 damage it would solve all of this. What threw me off was that I couldn't think of any area effect damage spell that didn't allow a Reflex save.

Thanks again for the help.

cmanos

First Post
Pyrex said:
Random Trivia Note (for those who're curious and didn't already know): Aqua Regia is a combination of (I think equal parts of) concentrated Hydrochloric, Nitric and Sulfuric acids. It's called Aqua Regia (Translation: Royal Water) because it's one of the few corrosives that will dissolve gold.

50:50 Hydrochloric and Nitric.

Remove ads