Voice Acting in Your Tabletop RPGs: How Much/Little?

The "In-Character Voices and Acting" Goes to 11...where do YOU tune it?

atanakar

Hero
This has nothing to do with Matt Mercer. I've been doing this way before he was on Youtube.

I do it for important NPCs but I'm not consistent. It depends of my level of fatigue. I find that when players voice act too, it motivates me. We don't do it all the time. We often use he says / she says when we want things to move forward faster. More so towards the end of the session.

Last edited:

Theo R Cwithin

I cast "Baconstorm!"
( 9 )
I have fun with it, though I can't do the vocal range that I used to. And while I can do a few realworld accents fairly well, I try to lean more toward invented "accents" that just involve a few vowel swaps or something plus a quirky idiom here and there. Of course, it also strongly depends on the character being acted: important NPCs or frequently encountered races/monsters get the most treatment, minor ones less.

While I enjoy doing voice acting, I've also found that less is more, imo. One or two linguistic tags is a lot easier to prep for and manage across sessions. And tbh, I think that's really enough for most players to key on.

(Also, as one of those stretchy-faced folk, I also rely a lot on facial expressions, especially for major NPCs or distinctive creature types.)

ccs

41st lv DM
I would like to turn it all the way up.

But voice-acting is not one of my skills & none of my players have ever cared enough to even try.

So it's set to about zero.

Eltab

Lord of the Hidden Layer
I replied to the other thread, so a recap here:
I gave Arauthator (in Tiamat) his own voice and everything else I could; fighting and defeating him was the high point of the campaign.
But usually I don't try; my acting skills might make do to ham up a Shakespeare monologue, but not for a sustained effort at characterization.

DEFCON 1

Legend
Supporter
Most of players are improv and community theater actors, so my games always include voices and speaking first-person in character (both from myself and most of the players.) I voted 10 as well.

Jacob Lewis

Ye Olde GM
"A GM is never wrong. He uses the exact number of voices and accents he desires and is comfortable with, and it is never too little or too much. It is precisely the right amount he means to use! Now let's meet in the tavern so we can get this adventure started!"

- Gandalf the Gray GM

d0d40fd526fb6dbfab27815c0864918c.jpg

Shiroiken

Legend
I like to do voices occasionally, and don't mind (for the most part) when my players do it. It helps make certain NPCs memorable, which I find useful with important NPCs. With player, I don't want it to overwhelm and distract from the game which it seldom does.

There is only one type of accent I despise with all the hate of the 9 Hells: dwarves are NOT Scottish!!!

Remove ads