Volo Blackguard error?

devincutler

Explorer
Could someone check my "math"?

In Volo's Guide, the Blackguard in the NPC stats section does 1d6+2 damage with a shortbow. This seems wrong to me. I think it should be 1d6+0.

Can anyone tell me if I am wrong and, if so, why?

Thanks.

Bardbarian

First Post
NPCs are not built in the same manner as player characters. Sometimes they use damage expressions which do not match their stats or equivalent class level.

jgsugden

Legend
Mosters do not ncessarily follow the same rules as PCs. They may have tweaked it to make it a slightly more effective ranged combatant. Or it might be an error.

cbwjm

Seb-wejem
As far as I know monsters deal x dice of damage and then add their relevant ability modifier. If the blackguards dexterity is 10 or 11 then it is likely an error.

Harzel

Adventurer
I don't recall seeing any humanoid monsters that don't follow the usual formulae for to-hit and damage with weapons unless it is specifically mentioned in the stat block. If there are any, they are the exception. So, since the Blackguard's DEX is 11, it looks like a mistake. Its to-hit values for Glaive and Shortbow and damage for Glaive and spell DC are all consistent with +3 proficiency, 15 CHA, and 18 STR.

i_dont_meta

Explorer
I had this same issue getting to 3rd Level with my Warlock. I chose the Pact of the Chain cuz a Sprite made sooooo much sense, character-wise. Looking at the Sprite, I instantly recognized discrepancies in their Attacks, and had a classic "WTF" moment. Came to these same 'boards for confirmation of some type, and "yep", the MM finagles when it needs to finagle.

Remove ads