D&D 5E Volo's Guide to Monsters Hobgoblins: You would think there are many cities.

GreenTengu

Adventurer
I think it is worth remembering though....

Hobgoblin tribes or clans or nations if you like... they are really spread quite far apart. As a people they don't all occupy a single terrain anyway. Volo's statements are a subjective view of one or maybe the collective impression of a view hobgoblin societies he encountered and learned enough to report.

These societies, they tend not to get along with each other so well. Each one has its own little adaptations and rituals and traditions and quirks and they are all, as a collective at least, fiercely proud of their own unique little traits and accomplishments-- no doubt feeling their way best prepares them for the great war of the afterlife.

So nothing stated in the book, no matter how definitive, ought to be taken as a universal truth about the species. Likely there are few things that are actually universal about hobgoblin societies.

So if you say "I think Hobgoblins would be/should be this way" then, so long as you don't insist on this being an absolute universal truth but rather keep your scope on a single soceity or set of societies... by no means are you wrong. But when someone else says they believe they should be in a way that seems to have little cultural in common, so long as they do are talking about some other society or set of societies of the species in some other region... they are also entirely correct.

There is no reason to think that any sentient species society is going to be any less diverse than the others that occupy that world. And even within the same society you are inevitably going to have permutations-- counter-culture movements, stark traditionalists, revolutionaries, those driven by the will of nature or spirits or god, others driven by purely ration and logic and their direct observations....

The only time you are ever going to be wrong is when you try to define what a Hobgoblin is not. There are only a few things that would make a concept stop being a hobgoblin, and they are primarily physiological rather than cultural.

cripse, that is perfect for my plans and feeling seriously dumb to not looking just a little to the left. ;)

Heck the goblin marches sounds like a perfect place for a hobgoblin kingdom and it's geographic location is a perfect place to annoy adventurers on the sword coast, the heart lands and the dale lands.

edit: it looks like the underdark in the area is the gauthe grottos which is fairly isolated from the rest of the underdark. I can work with this. :)

Last edited:

Parmandur

Book-Friend
cripse, that is perfect for my plans and feeling seriously dumb to not looking just a little to the left. ;)

Heck the goblin marches sounds like a perfect place for a hobgoblin kingdom and it's geographic location is a perfect place to annoy adventurers on the sword coast, the heart lands and the dale lands.

edit: it looks like the underdark in the area is the gauthe grottos which is fairly isolated from the rest of the underdark. I can work with this. :)

Yeah, looks like one of the many areas that makes a good blank slate for individual tables.

okay what I'm thinking since the goblin marches are basically flat lands, I'm thinking of a series of grottos that follows a cell system that works under the assumption that they believe everybody is out to get them. Opened to ideas on how they can hide that's plausible.

I want a female warlord hobgoblin great chief with 5 or so factions each jockeying for controlling policy. There is an element of fear that they want to do it right this time and it's why they are trying to down play their size and get good intel about the world around them.

for example factions like.
- the raiders
- the isolationists
- the magic academy
- the priesthood.
- a secret police (already defined in volo's as monks)
- the animal handlers, that includes an ogre breeding program.

- have a bit of a power struggle between the traditional goblin gods and bane, because these religious wars are fighting for the souls of the hobgoblin people, and defacto policy.

perhaps goblins are playing a bigger role as spellcasters and alchemists as they are clever little buggers. Possibly blues as well to wipe the minds of adventurers that are sent back with some minor treasure to think they cleared out the goblinoids. :p

Last edited:

Parmandur

Book-Friend
Sounds pretty cool; maybe a lack of an agreed upon high chief, ala Feudal Japan: the female warlord is maybe close to achieving dominance, bit Thi Gs are still dicey and even her allies still svehem and are independent...

Remove ads