D&D 5E Vs Vecna battle simulations.

Stalker0

Legend
Vecna: "Kill the barbarian!"
If this was a real game, I would totally use Invulnar's pain as a child when people called him monster and barbarian, to actually target himself, sacrificing himself giving Bloodhuz the reprieve needed to finish the job.

But its a mechanical playtest, and Vecna is a genius, so I won't do that ;)

DND_Reborn

The High Aldwin
@Stalker0

Reviewing Invulnar, I think your most damaging attack is Scorching Ray at 8th level. This will give you 9 rays to attack with, for 2d6 damage each. Using empowered, quickened on it will allow you to also use your empowered Sunbeam, of course.

Total damage should be about 50-60 I think.

Of course, we have to wait for @FitzTheRuke to do Broodhuz's turn first.

FitzTheRuke

Legend
Broodhuz ignored Invulnar when he moved past him, hoping that his friend would break free somehow. He charged around the pillar, spitting his freezing goo and swinging his flaming sword, hoping that one good chop would bring the archlich down.

OOC: Anything that damages Vecna, I will use.

DND_Reborn

The High Aldwin
Broodhuz's Turn:

Broodhuz's moves 20 feet to get a clear line on Vecna and unleashes his cold breath! Vecna succeeds on the DC 15 DEX save (13+3=16), taking only 3 cold damage (half of 6 of half 12 rolled)

Broodhuz's moves the remaining distance to attack Vecna, swinging his greatsword with all his might in a desperate attempt to destroy the archlich! He hits (10,4+10=20 vs. AC 18), dealing 9 slashing plus 1 fire damage, total 10 damage.

Venca uses Fell Rebuke, dealing 15 necrotic damage to Broodhuz, and teleports 30 feet to the middle of the four pillars.

1656469146201.png

CURRENT HIT POINTS:

VECNA: 71 / 272
(-13)
Go'ban: 0 / 132 (-105)
Morcolt: 0 / 131 (-52)

Broodhuz: 86 / 149 (-15)
Invulnar: 150 / 162

It is now Invulnar's Turn.

Stalker0

Legend
And as Broodhurz looks across the middle, past Vecna and to his brother in arms, he pleads once more for Invulnar to return to his senses.

The dragonborn looks up, again with cold unfeeling eyes...yet he shakes his head, and there might be the hint of rebellion in his eyes. Vecna gives just the slightest of eye brow raises, and Invulnar's head returns low....and he says, "I serve.....the lich king Venca".

Invulnar uses a quickened, empowered scorching burst (8th level) + empowered sunbeam. Good luck Broodhuz, may my attack rolls be low!

DND_Reborn

The High Aldwin
POINT OF ORDER / RULING NEEDED:

I figured Broodhuz would use resistance. So, here is the issue and the feature for reference:

1656494284455.png

It provides resistance to "that instance of damage." Since scorching ray fires separate rays, I would think each rays, rolled individually for damage, would be an "instance".

So, the first ray that hits he would have resistance to, but not any other that hit. But, since it is one spell, I could understand if others feel that it would provide resistance to every ray, not just the first.

What to others think, option 1 or 2???

1. The resistance is to the first ray that hits only, each ray is a separate "instance of damage".
2. The resistance applies to all the rays, the spell is the "instance of damage."

I'll run it according to option 1, but if people feel option 2 is more appropriate I'll update Invulnar's turn later after work tonight.

MarkB

Legend
POINT OF ORDER / RULING NEEDED:

I figured Broodhuz would use resistance. So, here is the issue and the feature for reference:

View attachment 252281

It provides resistance to "that instance of damage." Since scorching ray fires separate rays, I would think each rays, rolled individually for damage, would be an "instance".

So, the first ray that hits he would have resistance to, but not any other that hit. But, since it is one spell, I could understand if others feel that it would provide resistance to every ray, not just the first.

What to others think, option 1 or 2???

1. The resistance is to the first ray that hits only, each ray is a separate "instance of damage".
2. The resistance applies to all the rays, the spell is the "instance of damage."

I'll run it according to option 1, but if people feel option 2 is more appropriate I'll update Invulnar's turn later after work tonight.
If you'd count them as separate instances for other purposes (i.e. concentration checks, or death save auto-failures) then they're also separate instances for this ability.

Remove ads