D&D 5E Vs Vecna battle simulations.

MarkB

Legend
a. Arthur has no idea of the abilities of Vecna, so will attack with Long Sword until Vecna teleports away after the 1st of potentially two long sword attacks. At that point Arthur will consider using Javelins or spells, but also knows that a Divine Smite with a 5th level spell slot is a huge deal.
Fortunately for Arthur, he literally just saw Vecna teleport away after being attacked, so he doesn't need to act in total ignorance of that capability.

Wait a minute!!!

What are my three portent dice? First thing Egar would do depends on these dice. Giving Vecna a low initiative roll so he is likely to go last is important, especially on the first round.

Also, if I have another low roll he would reserve that to stop Dread Counterspell.
Sorry my mistake, your portent rolls are 5,11,and 6. Vecna has not had his turn yet so feel free to use one.
@ MonsterEnvy...I know this will really bog down the simulation, but maybe run it as play by post, where each player runs the char?
But to be fair, I am also happy you running my char.

A couple of comments on my char Arthur:
1. How many Javelin's would he be carrying, given he is in full plate, plus shield, plus long sword.
2. This gets very meta-gamey (which I hate). So a few things:
a. Arthur has no idea of the abilities of Vecna, so will attack with Long Sword until Vecna teleports away after the 1st of potentially two long sword attacks. At that point Arthur will consider using Javelins or spells, but also knows that a Divine Smite with a 5th level spell slot is a huge deal.
b. Does Arthur learn after a round or two, or three, quantities of Reactions and LR's that Vecna has and plan attacks accordingly?
c. Arthur will most definitely close to within 10 feet to trigger the bonus action Channel Divinity Vow of enmity to gain Advantage on attacks. That is likely not the most optimal group move for the 1st turn, but given Arthur does not know the full power of Vecna, he would do that.

Re: Metagaming, a DM has to be very careful, and very tough, with players who will already know this stat block and plan accordingly. I am talking about in a real D&D session.
Anyone, you with priority for yours, can run a character. So it's similar to play by post. Character control is just not exclusive to you.

1. Lets say 20, that should last the whole fight.
2. b. he won't know how many LRs Vecna has, but after a round or two should know the reactions.
2. C. makes sense.
Why? Surely one of the party spellcasters will be able to help them in this regard?
Magic items are not really taken into account by the games math, so we are just going to do it without them for now. I have turned off Vecna's immunity to non magical attacks in exchange.

Sorry my mistake, your portent rolls are 5,11,and 6. Vecna has not had his turn yet so feel free to use one.

Anyone, you with priority for yours, can run a character. So it's similar to play by post. Character control is just not exclusive to you.

1. Lets say 20, that should last the whole fight.
2. b. he won't know how many LRs Vecna has, but after a round or two should know the reactions.
2. C. makes sense.

Magic items are not really taken into account by the games math, so we are just going to do it without them for now. I have turned off Vecna's immunity to non magical attacks in exchange.
WRT to a., I was thinking more like 3, or 4. I think my Paladin would find it impossible to carry more. And overall, I am more than happy for you to run the char.

hCwLiiC.png

Just putting the current situation on the new page, Vecna's Globe is the Purple Circle, I put up Arthur's Aura, and I used the Portent of 5 to put Vecna last.

Hjalman's turn. (Reminder anyone who wants to can decide what Hjalman does)

Also feel free to remind me of anything I may have forgotten.

Edit: Updated cause I forgot Vecna's Dex mod.

DND_Reborn

The High Aldwin
I used the Portent of 6 to put Vecna last.
No problem. Since you overlooked it I definitely wanted it included. I will use the 5 (the lowest roll) for Vecna's initiative roll. IIRC with his +3 DEX this should give him an Initiative 8 total (so, not 6--I was writing this as you posted LOL!). This will put him directly behind Egar in the initiative order, with Arthur then going directly after Vecna.

Thanks. I will try to watch this enough to preempt rolls for the use of the 6 and 11. Also, my Lucky feat allows me to declare 3 d20 rerolls provided I can see the creature.

FarBeyondC

Explorer

No magic items is fine (something could have happened to them on the way to where Vecna is), but turning off Vecna's immunity to non-magical attacks kinda makes this a wash as far as being a remotely useful simulation is concerned.

No magic items is fine (something could have happened to them on the way to where Vecna is), but turning off Vecna's immunity to non-magical attacks kinda makes this a wash as far as being a remotely useful simulation is concerned.
I am assuming that the martial characters have got their weapon enchanted to bypass it. I just don't want the hit bonuses and such to be involved right now.

Remove ads