wand creation cost - BASE PRICE

patrakis

Explorer
My question ia about magical item creation:

I am using the 3.5 edition of the DMG.

I found contradicting information concerning wand creation costs in the DMG and i wanted to know what the correct way to find the base price of a wand is.

Table 7-32 suggest that the BASE PRICE of a wand is spell level x caster level x 375gp.
Table 7-33 suggest that a 50 charges-spell trigger items (that would be a wand) BASE PRICE is spell level x caster level x 750gp.
On page 287 of the DMG under the CREATING WANDS title, in the table titled WAND BASE PRICE we find that a wand duplicating a first level spell cast at the minimum caster level is 750gp.

In 2 places i get the 750gp answer and in one palce i find the 375gp answer, all for the BASE PRICE of a wand. Can you tell me what is the correct way to evaluate the BASE PRICE of a wand is please? I haven't found this adressed in the Errata of the DMG 3.5.

Thanks in advance

Patrice

MichaelH

First Post
It's 750 gp x caster level x level of the spell. Table 7-32 seems to be in error. It should be 1/2 x 750 or just 375, not both.

patrakis

Explorer
Thanks for the response. It would seem the correct way but where did you find the exact ruel. Is it deduction or it is written somewhere else?

I'm just curious :).

Thanks

Pat

ThoughtfulOwl

First Post
There is no contradiction; table 7-33 refers to the base price, but table 7-32 refers to the cost to create, which is half the base price. This is why you get 750 gp on one and 375 on the other.

shilsen

Adventurer
ThoughtfulOwl said:
There is no contradiction; table 7-33 refers to the base price, but table 7-32 refers to the cost to create, which is half the base price. This is why you get 750 gp on one and 375 on the other.
Actually Table 7-32 is incorrect, since it says the base price is (375 x spell lvl x caster lvl) and that the cost to create is (1/2 x 375 x spell lvl x caster lvl).

patrakis said:
Thanks for the response. It would seem the correct way but where did you find the exact ruel. Is it deduction or it is written somewhere else?

Check the base prices of the sample wands on table 7-26. They all fit the 750 gp x spell lvl x caster lvl pricing.

Liquidsabre

Explorer
patrakis said:

Also check out the Player's Handbook p.92, Craft Wand feat.

Last edited:

Liquidsabre

Explorer
ThoughtfulOwl said:

Actually, table 7-32 has both base price (at 375 x spell level x caster level)and magic supplies cost (at 1/2 x 375 x spell level x caster level), both are incorrect. Check it out yourself, what it *should* say is:

wand base price = 750 x spell level x caster level
wand magic supplies cost = 375 x spell level x caster level

The PHB feat Craft Wand has the correct rule for easy reference.

edit- gaah, that's what I get for not completely reading the last post. Heh, just repeating stuff. So, uh, replace this post instead with: "What Shilsen said."

Last edited:

Remove ads