D&D 5E Wandering Monsters 10/30/2013: Trick or Treat?

TwoSix

Dirty, realism-hating munchkin powergamer
Exploration is kind of like commercial breaks in television. It's a way to break up the action with some reality before you get back to the interesting parts.

TerraDave

5ever, or until 2024
[MENTION=92511]steeldragons[/MENTION] that was harsh. And probably justified.

It was a big improvement from the previous couple of columns. (But what wouldn't be). I look forward to much more in the DMG or equivalent and in there forthcoming adventures.

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
[MENTION=92511]steeldragons[/MENTION] that was harsh. And probably justified.

I'm not ruffled, personally. But, if he's going to analyze... :)

We, culturally, seem to have adopted the idea that snark is a good thing, that it makes us seem cool and witty. It may be important for kids jockeying for social position in a schoolyard, perhaps, but in terms of actually carrying on a conversation among adults, it is a pretty weak tool.

I, for one, don't feel it makes for decent constructive criticism.

TerraDave

5ever, or until 2024
I'm not ruffled, personally. But, if he's going to analyze... :)

We, culturally, seem to have adopted the idea that snark is a good thing, that it makes us seem cool and witty. It may be important for kids jockeying for social position in a schoolyard, perhaps, but in terms of actually carrying on a conversation among adults, it is a pretty weak tool.

I, for one, don't feel it makes for decent constructive criticism.

Snark can be cool and witty, in moderation. Speaking of which, certain ENWorld moderators have certainly been known to use it.

And it was justified. Wyatt was the author of the 4E DMG and he does seem to be a late-comer to this approach. But better late then never, I suppose.

Mistwell

Crusty Old Meatwad (he/him)
I'm sure.

Hmm. And whose fault would that be?

That's an interesting thought. I have no idea though. But, truthfully, it isn't the kind f thing that I talk about. It is rather assumed to exist.

He CAN be taught! :D

Yeah...annnnd...?

...:confused:...annnd...?

And this was..."surprising[ly]" for you? ...we're doomed.

And this is interesting to you...because...?

Funny that. Guess ya shoulda paid more attention to those in your passed editions...but then, guess we'd have nothing to talk about this week.

STOP! Hang on...Right there. Be a dear and take your none-too-subtle attempt to infiltrate 5e with some of your vaunted 4e terminology, thanks. Expressly "encounter-based" design has been, I'd say, irrevocably proven to be a detrimental to the D&D [sales and] brand.

Didn't you just say at the start of this [your startling revelation!] that exploration is more than how you move from place to place?

Again...annnd...?

I will assert that 2nd edition must have dealt with them as well, without apparently "using that word" <rolls eyes>. At no point do I recall people saying "Oh thank gods! We don't have to bother with puzzles anymore!"...until much more recently.

Beyond that, guess some folks shoulda left well enough alone.

EDIT: I suppose the utterly arbitrary pananggalan is just an attempt to feel Halloweeny? Cute [debatable]...but completely pointless and inappropriate to the column.

I found your critique to be utterly bereft of useful substance. It seemed vapid, vacuous, and banal. I give it one and a half stars, out of a possible four stars. :)

Sorry I've been watching Leonard Maltin's new YouTube channel lately. Which is worth watching by the way! Here is the first one.

Last edited:

TwoSix

Dirty, realism-hating munchkin powergamer
I found your critique to be utterly bereft of useful substance. It seemed vapid, vacuous, and banal. I give it one and a half stars, out of a possible four stars. :)

Sorry I've been watching Leonard Maltin's new YouTube channel lately. Which is worth watching by the way! Here is the first one.
I would have gone with:
"What you've just said is one of the most insanely idiotic things I have ever heard. At no point in your rambling, incoherent response were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in this room is now dumber for having listened to it. I award you no points, and may God have mercy on your soul."
Such a great quote. :)

Mistwell

Crusty Old Meatwad (he/him)
I would have gone with:
"What you've just said is one of the most insanely idiotic things I have ever heard. At no point in your rambling, incoherent response were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in this room is now dumber for having listened to it. I award you no points, and may God have mercy on your soul."
Such a great quote. :)

You are so right! Here is the clip:

[video=youtube_share;5hfYJsQAhl0]http://youtu.be/5hfYJsQAhl0[/video]

Kobold Stew

Last Guy in the Airlock
Supporter
Exploration can be a really fun part of the campaign, particularly in sandbox-style worlds.

I remember when I was first playing, the tension of one person mapping and trying to represent the DM's words accurately on 1cm graph paper, with the rest kibitzing to stave off boredom (a style of play alluded to in the questions to the article, but which I haven't seen for 30 years). Does anyone still do this? That's *not* the fun bit of exploration -- but discovering the texture of the game world is crucial, and when there's buy-in from everyone at the table, it can lead to lasting memories.

I love exploration, both as a player and as a DM (though admitted, mapping isn't always the fun part).

BUT -- the game doesn't need unique "exploration rules". Environments and movement, maybe. Let DMs run their games without excess guidance.

Remove ads