Want To Earn $50 Scanning Classic D&D Books?

The article title sounds like a spam email, but it's a real thing. DTRPG, which runs D&D Classics (now folded into the DM's Guild online store) is looking for help building its digital library of old D&D modules. To that end, the company is offering a $50 fee to anyone who scans a classic title they own. It needs to be high quality and meet some specifications, of course. There's a list of few hundred titles they're currently looking for.

The article title sounds like a spam email, but it's a real thing. DTRPG, which runs D&D Classics (now folded into the DM's Guild online store) is looking for help building its digital library of old D&D modules. To that end, the company is offering a $50 fee to anyone who scans a classic title they own. It needs to be high quality and meet some specifications, of course. There's a list of few hundred titles they're currently looking for.

kTK1YgsNL7Sj9VGcp7SMcQ-DMsGuild-Logo.png

Here's the list/spreadsheet of titles they are seeking; it will be updated with titles they've received scans for ("Pending") and those which have been accepted ("Submitted"). There are tabs for OD&D, 1E, 2E, Dragonlance Fifth Age, 3E, and 3.5. If you have one of these titles and want to send in a scan you need to fill out this form.

The $50 is added as credit to your DTRPG account, and you can cash it out via PayPal or you can spend it in store.

More info? Click here.

The main problem is that the prescribed scanning process involves you destroying your book (and that doesn't even guarantee they'll accept it). DTRPG asks you to cut off the spine and use a sheet-fed scanner. Given the classic status of older titles, the book itself may be worth more than $50 to you. That said, a lot of them can be found on eBay for reasonable prices, so it may be worth it. I, personally, am incapable of destroying, selling, or losing a book, but that's just me.

Kramodlog

Naked and living in a barrel
... So what has been stopping the catalogue to incease is available scans?

That is a surprise, to say the least.

TerraDave

5ever, or until 2024
The "50 or so titles" is just for 3.5.

The spread sheet has tabs, so 1E has about 75 titles. The weird thing is that I am sure some of these are already scanned. Maybe they want better copies?

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
The "50 or so titles" is just for 3.5.

The spread sheet has tabs, so 1E has about 75 titles. The weird thing is that I am sure some of these are already scanned. Maybe they want better copies?

I didn't notice the tabs. Thanks!

prosfilaes

Adventurer
That's weird. Given the books that can be bought for less than $50, why don't they have someone doing this? They could get better scans more reliably by doing it in-house. Is it just saving money by being able to reject bad scans?

Makes sense. WotC likely only has one copy in their library, and is unwilling to destroy it.

Some of the older folios shouldn't be too hard. Take a tin snipper to the staples, scan, and then re-staple. And a lot of copies still remain of many of the other 3e ones, so people might have doubles or know of cheap copies.

The 2nd Edition ones will be trickier...

Remove ads

Remove ads