Want To Playtest The Fallout RPG?

Modiphius has just opened up the sign-up process for the closed beta of the upcoming Fallout RPG.

C618039B-BA33-4475-A67B-71A33A560B74.jpeg

Details below:

Modiphius Entertainment is excited to announce that the closed beta sign ups for the Fallout 2d20 RPG are now live! The closed beta will allow you and your group to play test the upcoming official Fallout 2d20 RPG and have your feedback implemented within its design.

You can sign up below. Deadlines for sign ups finish on 13/01/2020 at midnight. Please note not everyone who signs up will receive a play-test spot and play-testing will be dependent on you signing an NDA.

Thanks and we look forward to having you on board as a play-tester!

lyle.spade

Adventurer
Signed up when I got the notice by email. I'm a fan of 2d20, having enjoyed it with Star Trek, Conan, and a home-brew. I'm interested in seeing what they do with this property, and Dune, too.

I hope I'm selected.

whats the difference of the d20 vs 2d20? the miniature line has great models although they are super expensive

I love the idea of this franchise-Truly feel that a tv show (big buget hbo/Netflix etc) based on a vault and a bunch of dwellers and exploration outside would be epic

lyle.spade

Adventurer
whats the difference of the d20 vs 2d20? the miniature line has great models although they are super expensive

I love the idea of this franchise-Truly feel that a tv show (big buget hbo/Netflix etc) based on a vault and a bunch of dwellers and exploration outside would be epic

They're completely different systems, mechanically. The core role in 2d20 is this: you roll two d20s and try to meet or beat (high is always best) your Target Number, which is the sum of a skill and a governing trait. For example, in Conan, you'd use use your Melee skill to club someone. That skill is under Agility. Skills are single-digit scores, and some stats are in the low double digits, so a decent character might have, say, a 12 in Melee. You roll two d20s and for each 12 or higher you get, you get a success. Difficulty is determined by the number of successes needed - 1 through 5 - and additional successes generate "Momentum," on a 1:1 basis. Momentum can be spent immediately to gain any of a variety of effects - extra damage, disarm, another attack, etc. - or banked in a party pool which is accessible by everyone.

In a nutshell, 2d20 provides a means by which surplus success can be used to enhance and shape results immediately, or banked and used later. It's a really good system, I think, and shares similarities with FFG's Star Wars (which makes sense since both systems share the same person as a lead designer), but in practice I think it flows a lot better at the table (having played both).

G

Guest 6801328

whats the difference of the d20 vs 2d20?

There are lots of specific mechanical differences, of course, but I think what you're asking is "what's the difference such that you don't want to play a 2d20 game?"

For my part, the answer isn't that (or isn't just that) the 2d20 system is itself worse than d20, but that I'm almost always dissatisfied when a generic system is ported to a specific setting.

For example, I really do enjoy playing D&D, but when the 5e system is ported to an established setting, one that comes packed with expectations....Star Wars, Middle Earth, Old West, Pirates, Lovecraftian horror, etc....I've never much liked the result.

I think (to dive down into this) the problem is that every system of game mechanics is only the very roughest approximation of a reality. It's highly "lossy", to use a data compression term. And the designers have to make a decision about what bits of reality are thrown away, and which are emphasized. And also which bits of unreality are emphasized. And when you map those decisions to another setting, the fit is usually poor.

I do suspect that I'm in a tiny minority with this stance. And I also recognize that designing and playtesting a new system is a LOT more work than just porting an existing one. Just stating my position.

aramis erak

Legend

d20: 1d20 + Mods, roll high. If multiple 20's rolled, it's always keep 1.

2d20: 2d20 to 5d20, by how much you spend from expendables, each counted against 1 or 2 target numbers, to find total "successes," one of which is TNx (Stat A + Stat B), the other, TNxx is either stat B alone, or a third stat, stat C, limited to Stat B. Roll under TN X to get 1 success, and under TN XX to get a second.
In Star Trek, it's Attribute + Discipline for X, and 1 for XX, unless one has a focus that applies, in which case XX is equal to DIscipline.
John Carter, it'sTNX is Attribute A + Attribute B.
Mutant Chronicles and Conan 3e are TN X = Attribute+ Skill, TN XX = 1 or Focus (each skill has a separately learnable focus score, which cannot exceed skill)

My issues with it aren't how the dice are read (I don't mind roll-low), but in how the number of dice are determined, and how that tends to snowball.

Related Articles

Remove ads

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases