WAR OF THE BURNING SKY - the novel!

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
Starting next month, EN World will be hosting a new column - none other than WotBS conceptualizerationer and lead designer on the original adventures - Ryan "Rangerwickett" Nock.

And the best part? Ryan has spent many months working on his WotBS novel. And we're going to be publishing it, for free, as a monthly serial column!

I've read the first 60,000 words or so (don't worry, the column itself will be in chunks of 10K, possibly less depending on how that looks on a web page), and it's really good. The main heroes are NPCs you may be familiar with from the adventures: Rantle, Diogenes, Kathor, Torrent (these, I believe, were the actual PCs in Ryan's original campaign, although he can probably clarify that), along with later additions such as Crystin, Haddin, Tiljann and Katrina.

The first installment will appear at the beginning of October, and there will be an installment every month thereafter. In addition to being a damn fine read, it's also a great accompaniment for a DM running the campaign.

We hope you enjoy it!

Last edited by a moderator:

Catulle

Hero
Sounds really interesting; is this going to be something I should fend prospective players away from, though, or more of a historical story taking us up to "Day One" of the adventure series?

Either way, I look forward to reading it!

Regards,

Barry

We now have the third installment out, and there will probably be a small intermission that we'll post over the Christmas-New Year's week.

I am a little disappointed in the slim feedback we've been getting, so I wanted to ask those who have spared a glance at this thread, would you prefer more regular posts of shorter lengths? Right now each installment is 3 chapters long, which might understandably be longer than most people want to devote to reading while at a computer.

What do you think? Is the size an issue, or do we just need to do a better job of advertising and getting people interested in clicking through the first time?

And of course, for those who are reading, please let us know how you like it.

Daern

Explorer
I've enjoyed the two installments so far, but they are rather long. I would like more frequent single chapters I think.
I dig the project. It is really neat to get yet another perspective on the storyline, and it is a great twist that it features all these NPCs. So, as a DM guide I recommend it!
Really, as support for deep characterization of NPCs in the modules, this can't be beat.
I don't know why there's not more feedback...perhaps cross posting in various forums and places would help?
Anyway's keep up the good work! Thanks again for a great campaign.

Last edited:

talarei07

First Post
just read through the whole thing. i like what ive read so far the only complaint is having to wait so long to get enough of it to read at once

Remove ads