War of the Burning Sky - Updated 1/18 with discussion of the Player's Guide

crow81

First Post
Thanks Guys the Players Guide is great

Ryan the rest of the campaign is this good it was money well spent I am glad I got in early

Thanks again

Rich

catsclaw227

First Post
Quick question:

It seems that the Gate Pass feats are all given as bonus feats for affiliations. For example, on page 7, Blade of the Resistance, the special text describes an affiliation with the Gate Pass Resistance, described on page 6. Will this affiliation, as well as others, be described in the GM's guide or Campaign Overview?

They are not described in detail. Each of them plays a role to some degree in the campaign saga (particularly the first adventure), and in those scenes there will be enough information to run the encounter, but I didn't see the need to go very in depth with them.

catsclaw227

First Post
RangerWickett said:
They are not described in detail. Each of them plays a role to some degree in the campaign saga (particularly the first adventure), and in those scenes there will be enough information to run the encounter, but I didn't see the need to go very in depth with them.

Will there be a sidebar somewhere will the various affiliation rewards based upon Affiliation rank, as well as how to gain rewards for the group? I am imagining something similar to the way that they are laid out in Savage Tide AP, but something uniquely E.N. Publishing cool.

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
catsclaw227 said:
Will there be a sidebar somewhere will the various affiliation rewards based upon Affiliation rank, as well as how to gain rewards for the group? I am imagining something similar to the way that they are laid out in Savage Tide AP, but something uniquely E.N. Publishing cool.

I'm sorry, but could you rephrase that? I understand all the words, but not in that order! :D

catsclaw227

First Post
Morrus said:
I'm sorry, but could you rephrase that? I understand all the words, but not in that order! :D

OK -- let me reword this... :)

In the Savage Tide AP, they had sidebars in the Savage Tidings articles of Dragon magazine that listed the various afiliations in Sasserine, as well as how to gain affiliation points, and what the affiliation ranks provided to the PC.

Will you be doing something along those lines? I am not sure if this is the same way that Affiliations are done in PHB II (or is it DMG II?) but it was very cool. I was also hoping that it might have a nifty-cool E.N. Publishing angle to it as well.

Does this make sense?

Marius Delphus

Adventurer
Hi, I think I can explain.

The choice to add the Special lines to the Gate Pass feats, as a logical consequence of the text on page 6 (column 2, paragraph 2 after the headings), was made by me during layout. Ryan's been very lenient in letting me make these kinds of minor edits when I'm composing pages, but he always carefully reviews the final product to make sure I haven't overstepped my bounds.

However, *please* don't read the word "affiliated" as meaning anything more than "committed to," "allied with," or "acquainted with" (depending on the level of attachment that you as DM decide is needed to grant one of these feats as a bonus). Recall that "War of the Burning Sky" is a series of d20 products, not "D&D" products; recall also that that "affiliation" stuff from the PHBII is not Open Game Content. So by extension, the products don't refer to or incorporate PHBII material.

Of course, if an individual DM should *want* to set up the listed Gate Pass organizations with affiliation scores, benefits, and so forth from the PHBII, that's certainly a logical extension of the story framework provided in the Players' Guide... home games certainly aren't constrained by OGC after all. Said DM might want to have at least adventure #1 in hand before deciding how much work to put into it, but as with any game prep, if it looks like it'll be worthwhile come play time then I'd say go for it. :)

catsclaw227

First Post
This makes perfect sense. I forgot that PHB II stuff was non-OGC. One would think that a mechanic like that would be made OGC, like other things in some of the recent books. I hope that if/when they rebuild the SRD, they include a bunch of stuff like this to open it up to 3rd party developers.

Then, how does one get the bonus feat, as defined in the Special text of the feat? Is this simply a bonus based upon an RP situation?

Remove ads