D&D General War paint

Dausuul

Legend
Basically war paint when applied to a humanoid cases fear to enemies (I.e. -3 to attacks) and adds +3 to armor for up to 2-3 days per application.
What do you think & how might it improved?
That is an extremely powerful magic item. It is, effectively, granting +3 AC to all of your allies and +6 to yourself.

What is your objective in creating this item?

Dausuul

Legend
Emergency warfare & for fun.
Edit: I missed that this was a 3.5 thread instead of 5E, so Inspiration does not apply. However, I would still focus more on the psychological benefits to the paintee instead of a blanket modifier.

Flat mechanical benefits rarely offer much in the way of fun. Why not make it a Bond or Personality Trait instead? Describe how you're painting yourself for an upcoming battle, tailor the patterns and colors to the scenario, and get Inspiration. No additional mechanics necessary, and it encourages the player to put some thought into it.

As for "emergency warfare"... I don't really know what you mean by that. Warfare is an emergency by definition. If you're talking about a situation where the PCs get ambushed in camp or in town, they aren't likely to have a chance to put on war paint.

Last edited:

It contains mercury. If you use it too often, you lose 1 point of wisdom but can rage 1/day.

Effects stack over time until you go insane and die.

Heal reverses the effects

abe ray

Explorer
In 2nd edition complete barbarians handbook war paint had different armor class additives depending on color of the war paint.

Remove ads