Warforged Juggernaut optimization (edit* was Full attack after a charge)

RigaMortus2

First Post
Gaiden said:
Just because I have all the books, doesn't mean I've read all of them ;). What is a soulmeld and which book is it in?

Just because I have all the books, doesn't mean I have them right in front of me... Do your own damn research :p

Seriously... IIRC, I think it was either Sphinx Claws or Girallon Arms.

I'm pretty sure some of the wacky feats in PH2 let you get multiple attacks after a charge. Maybe not full attack, but definitely more than one attack roll.

Faerl'Elghinn

First Post
Gaiden said:
Just because I have all the books, doesn't mean I've read all of them ;). What is a soulmeld and which book is it in?

Question 1: It's complicated. See the answer to question 2.

Question 2: Magic of Incarnum. RAFO.

Gaiden

Explorer
Faerl'Elghinn said:
Question 1: It's complicated. See the answer to question 2.

Question 2: Magic of Incarnum. RAFO.

Interesting - that's one of the books I have not read (funny how that works :)).

Oh, I think there was a feat in the miniatures handbook that allowed an attack at the end of a charge with both weapons (if wielding 2 weapons).

boolean

Explorer
Gaiden said:
Oh, I think there was a feat in the miniatures handbook that allowed an attack at the end of a charge with both weapons (if wielding 2 weapons).
PHB2 has Two-Weapon Pounce, which allows an attack with two weapons at the end of a charge. MinisHB has Double Hit, which allows attacking with both weapons on an AoO.

Gaiden

Explorer
Juggernaut

So the reason I started this thread was because I am detailing a Warforged Juggernaut that is the 1st Lt for the Lord of Blades and a primary adversary for my player's character, Snake, in an Eberron campaign (that will soon turn planar).

Right now, I have Fighter 4, (Full-BAB class 1), Warforged Juggernaut 5

Feats:

Adamentine Body
Power Attack
Improved Bullrush
Avalanche (from Living Arcanis, allows bullrush after attack)
Shock Trooper
Powerful Charge
Improved Powerful Charge
Cleave
+1 feat

I haven't decided whether or not to stick with fighter in favor of additional feats, or turn to the Warblade (or go with something else entirely). The flavor of the warblade seems a bit different than what the character is designed for: where the warblade glorifies and lives for combat, Juggernaut, is more robotic rather than desire only using combat as a means to an end. However, the abilities of the Warblade seem to mesh well with the character. I figured with such a focus on charging, it would benefit the NPC to have the ability to full attack after a charge, but I am not sure if I can swing the mechanics legitimately. It looks like potions of lion's charge may be the best way to go with this.

On another note, any suggestions for ways to optimize this character. It seems there are several considerations: charging more than once (not just at the beginning of combat, but every round), terrain/corners/elevation (still charging when battle layout would traditionally prevent it), multiple opponents

So long as the NPC stays alive (and I will not hesitate to let him die if my player kills him), I plan to have this NPC recur often throughout the PC's (it is only one player) career as the Lord of Blades is a major villain in the campaign. Thus, I am happy to plan out the NPC to 20th level.

For charging more than once, the spring attack chain seems the way to go (with the PHBII feats to increase S.A.'ing effectiveness).

Juggernaut is not intended to be a finesse warrior - not in the slightest. If there are obstacles in his way when charging, he would tend to barrel through them rather than avoid them. Is there anything out there that makes difficult terrain not so difficult by just bumrushing one's way through it? I figure somehow getting him a crazy jump score could deal with aerial opponents (I don't want to give him flight capability). I know there are feats out there that allow turning corners while charging - but again, Juggernaut is not intended to be lithe - he is inherently heavily armored with adamentine body. What is available that allows turns that is not finesse dependent?

Improved Overrun would allow him to deal with opponents in his way. However, I was thinking about a homebrew warforged component (perhaps it already exists and I just don't know about it) that turned a warforged from a biped into a quadraped (something akin to the robot jox enhancement to the mech for the second battle that occurred). I figured the benefits of the mod would be enhancemend movement of 10' and stability (+4 against bullrush, trip, etc.) and would have it cost the same as boots of springing and striding (maybe a bit more). With this component I thought it would be fair to adapt the centaur trample feat to warforged (replacing improved overrun) having the warforged deal dmg equal to its slam attack with the trample.

Thoughts?

Gaiden

Explorer
Juggernaut's weapons

How do you think I should outfit Juggernaut with weapons?

I was thinking of a lance (counting him as mounted with the quadraped mod) and/or a wrecking ball (like the warforged in the Dragonshard video game).

Thoughts?

Any feat recommendations correlating to weapon choice?

I was also thinking that a harpoon style weapon complete with a firing mechanism connected to a chain might be a neat addition.

Gaiden

Explorer
Bagpuss said:
5 levels of Reach Runner (Races of Eberron) you need to be a Shifter however.

I'll check out the PrC tonight (IDHMBWM) and see if I can adapt it at all to Warforged. Thanks for the suggestion.

Remove ads