D&D 5E Warforged Protector Unit

Hatox

Explorer
Hello everyone,

since my last character in my group just died (rip lvl 2 rogue) I need to make a new character and had the idea to play somewhat of a Warforged that has been built as a protector unit. Since we are lvl 2 I wouldve played a lvl 1 Fighter/lvl 1 Cleric (probably life, maybe order or peace domain). The fighter level is to get the new fighting style that can reduce damage to an ally if within 5 ft. and cleric is just, well, because clerics get a lot of spells that protect other people. But now I wonder where to put my next few lvls (probably only going to play him up to lvl 5 or 6 {if this one survives...^^}).

I thought of Abjuration wizard, but all the low lvl abjuration spells, and the low level abjuration wizard skills only work on myself, and, like I said, I wanted to play a warforged unit that has been built as somewhat of a body guard, meant to protect others.

Of course I also thought of the benefit of going to lvl 4 to pick up sentinel, but since our monk already has it, I dont really want to double dip that.

So I ask you:
How would you build a low level "protector" character? (Preferable one that started with 1/1 fighter/cleric, but of course other ideas are also welcome!)

I don't know that abjuration's protections only affecting you is a bad idea if you have a way to primarily make yourself the target of attacks. Cleric's a pretty good route, but maybe go Forge cleric for the ability to give yourself a magic weapon (I can't remember if warforged can wear armor - forge clerics can also enchant their armor).

Al2O3

Explorer
I guess that extra attack won't be an important factor of you finish around the time it becomes a factor. Multiple levels of fighter might thus not be the best for your concept. However, staying with a single class will probably be more useful than spreading yourself too thin. I would therefore suggest doubling down on the cleric part, possibly making it to 3rd level spells. Start as fighter for a couple of extra hit points and all the proficiencies in addition to the fighting style.

Also check the spell lists of Paladins to see if single class Paladin might be an equally good way to reach you goal. Another way might be Artificer (armorer or battle Smith).

Barbarian has a couple of good subclasses for protecting others too, but they might be hard to describe in a way that fits your concept.

Oofta

Legend
I think the protector thing is done better by paladins, but not everyone likes the class. I've also debated between the reduce damage and protection style. Reduce damage is decent at lower levels, I think protection and granting disadvantage at higher levels is a better option but I don't do much white-room analysis.

The other advantage of the paladin is the aura of protection at higher levels and a bunch of options to get bad guys to focus on you instead. You could still multi-class with cleric of course, the more you can smite the better the paladin is and the best defense is a good offense. Of course sorcerer or warlock might be better.

However, if you don't want to run a paladin I'm always a bit torn. If I take 1 level of fighter, it makes a lot of sense to take 3 and go Purple Dragon to get rallying cry or Rune Knight to redirect attacks or lock down the big bad. So many options! But then if you have 3 levels you might as well do 4 to get a feat. Then I want level 5 for the extra attack and then you might as well do 6 for another great. :confused:

If possible, you could look at Artificer rather than Cleric. Their first level casting is similar, Artificers get a lot of protective spells, and it fits better with being designed as a protector unit.

You could do worse than continue being a Fighter. Probably Battlemaster and pick maneuvers that hinder opponents or aid others. Knight also gets protective stuff, but I can't recall if they get it early enough to make it worth while.

Hatox

Explorer
Thanks for all the replies!
-Yes I thought of forge cleric for the +1 ac (warforged can absorb armor so I think that should work) but ultimately decided I would rather have something that keeps the others alive, since I will probably already be the highest AC and at most second highest HP member.

-I prefer the new interception fightingstyle over the old protection for the only reason that even if its not a lot of damage, its guaranteed do something if im in position to use it, while protection only effectively did something if the roll would have hit without disadvantage and misses with it. I´ve seen it to often where protection does nothing because the attack a. still hits or b. wouldve missed anyway since both rolls were low, but of course thats just preference.

-I totally forgot about the purple dragon knight! However, since I will probably will only play this character up to level 5 or 6, the only benefit I get is the AoE second wind, so there might be better options with other subclasses, but I´ll have to look into that. Runeknight might also be interesting, both the fire rune for restraining and the stone rune for charming could be used as a defensive tool. Also becoming large might lock down corridors.

-Yes I also thought about playing a paladin (I mean, a fighter/cleric is basically a paladin with extra steps) but since the aura effects come at later levels only, the benefits would mostly come from the low level abilities, and while I like lay on hands, the rest is more in an offensive direction. The "protecting" paladin subclasses at low level would be:
-Ancients for restraining an enemy (If he cant move, he cant run to my squishies)
-Conquest for fearing an enemy (see above)
-Crown for keeping enemies close (however 30 feet is often far enough to still reach alot of people)
-Glory for healing (but eh)
-Watchers for giving advantage on mental saves (this is pretty cool and is kind of an "anti-magic-protection" at least against most of the cc spells)

-Have not looked into the Artificer so far, but I love the idea, will definetly look into that one!

Hatox

Explorer
Just if anyone else ever finds this thread and wants to play something similar:

Im probably going to go for first level into fighter, and the rest into artificer.
Its a bit annoying to have to have high str (for heavy armor) con (for being a frontline tank) and at least 13 int (for multiclassing into artificer) but artificers actually get a lot of supporting spells like sanctuary and even cure wounds! (really didnt expect that one, always thought artificers would have a similar spell selection to wizards)

Later im probably gonna go into battle smith, just so I have ANOTHER guardian that can protect my allies (and since I can describe the way he looks, im pretty sure im just gonna say my character made a smaller version of himself to help him protect his allies, because he noticed he had problems being needed in multiple places at the same time)

Thanks again for all the great ideas!

Just if anyone else ever finds this thread and wants to play something similar:

Im probably going to go for first level into fighter, and the rest into artificer.
Its a bit annoying to have to have high str (for heavy armor) con (for being a frontline tank) and at least 13 int (for multiclassing into artificer) but artificers actually get a lot of supporting spells like sanctuary and even cure wounds! (really didnt expect that one, always thought artificers would have a similar spell selection to wizards)

Later im probably gonna go into battle smith, just so I have ANOTHER guardian that can protect my allies (and since I can describe the way he looks, im pretty sure im just gonna say my character made a smaller version of himself to help him protect his allies, because he noticed he had problems being needed in multiple places at the same time)

Thanks again for all the great ideas!
If you want to be more directly protective, and if you have Tasha's, the Armourer is the Tank" version, but the battle smith will serve you well.
You can even let your defender be directly protective while you give covering fire at range.

Remove ads