• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Wargames for casual newcomers?

MerricB

Eternal Optimist
Supporter
Thanks everyone for the responses. I decided to get Memoir '44, and just picked it up yesterday from a local game shop. They ha Tide of Iron, but I didn't know anything about it, and in hindsight wish a little bit that I had gotten that instead. But whatever is cool.

The rules seem pretty cool, and I like the little miniatures. I'm pretty pumped to play. Also while we were there my friend got Arkham Horror, so I think this weekend will be bad ass.

I'm glad you're enjoying M44! You did actually make the right decision in not buying Tide of Iron; compared to the other wargames I've played, it's not in the same league.

I've played through all the scenarios in the basic M44, and the Eastern Front - that's a lot of fun. We're going through the Pacific Theatre at present...

Cheers!

FriarRosing

First Post
Well, I've decided Memoir is one of my favorite games so far, and I ordered the Eastern Front expansion. I was reading about the Pacific Theatre one, and it sounds cool. I was wondering if any of the other ones are "must haves."

Also, I'm still interested in deeper, more simulationist-y wargames, if anyone has any other recommendations for those.

Thanks!

EDIT:

Are there any good World War I games? I'm somewhat more interested in that time period than any other one, but I'm not sure how well that particular war would translate into a game.

Last edited:

AJCarrington

Explorer
As mentioned previously, Conflict of Heroes is a pretty slick game. Note that as you delve into more detailed and simulationist-style games, they become less "casual"...;)

Don't know of any WWI games, but ofr WWII, some thing you might want to check out include ASL (Advanced Squad Leader), Band of Brothers (Lock 'n Load), Panzer Grenadier and ATS (Advanced Tobruk System). All of these games are tactical (squad or company level scale); my preference more than anything else. Also, note that ASL is NOT in entry-level game, but can offer you thousands of pages of rules, details and minutae...great fun for those who've made the leap, but a pretty steep learning curve for anyone new to the system.

AJC

MerricB

Eternal Optimist
Supporter
Well, I've decided Memoir is one of my favorite games so far, and I ordered the Eastern Front expansion. I was reading about the Pacific Theatre one, and it sounds cool. I was wondering if any of the other ones are "must haves."

Almost all of them. Seriously. Well, Terrain Pack isn't that great, but you need it for things like the Air Pack, which is great.

The ones I'd definitely get:
Eastern Front
Pacific Theatre
Mediterranean Theatre
Terrain Pack
Air Pack
Campaign book

Also, I'm still interested in deeper, more simulationist-y wargames, if anyone has any other recommendations for those.

ASL Starter Kit #1.
Combat Commander: Europe

If you want to move out of squad-level games, there are some good ones out there.

Are there any good World War I games? I'm somewhat more interested in that time period than any other one, but I'm not sure how well that particular war would translate into a game.

Paths of Glory is one of the best, but it's out of print (with any luck, it'll be reprinted soon - it's on GMT's P500 list). It's cousin, Pursuit of Glory has just been released - it deals with the Great War in the near east. Both are strategic level games - mainly because there wasn't really much great man-vs-man action in WW1.

Cheers!

FriarRosing

First Post
Excellent. Thanks so much for the recommendations. I think I have quite a few things to save up my money for now (in addition to Gen Con). I'll definitely try to get all the M44 expansions, and I may get either ASL or one of the Combat Commander games, I'm not sure yet. I may find one WWII game and its expansions may be all I need for that war.

Paths of Glory looks like something I would definitely like, though it evidently runs really long? Here's to hoping they reprint it.

Agamon

Adventurer
Haven't played M44, but BattleLore is pretty good. Not a fan of the new Axis & Alies game, it's not whether the Allies win, it's how quickly they do. Tried A&A minis recently, that was cool.

The one game I've tried and want to pick is called Wizard Kings from Columbia Games. Army building, fog of war, multiple army types and soldier types within each army and limitless scenario possibilites make this a great game. Plus it's relatively rules light, a good entry wargame. And it can be played with 2 to 9 players (though I suspect a 9-player game would be very long).

FriarRosing

First Post
I'm pretty much in love with Memoir '44, and I'm roommate recently ordered Commands and Colors: Ancients, so I couldn't be happier.

I'm trying to find a good deal on Paths of Glory, but it's somewhat difficult. We may go with Twilight Struggle, which, while not a wargame, sounds like it plays similarly and could be cool.

MerricB

Eternal Optimist
Supporter
We played M44 twice last night - the first time, I won in 11 minutes after a very nice Air Raid knocked out Randy's artillery - we were playing my Americans vs. his Japanese from the Pacific Theatre set. So, win to me, 5-2.

Then we reversed it, and I won the second game 5-4! :) I'm happy.

Twilight Struggle is my #1 game. It's absolutely brilliant, and you should get it. Paths of Glory is on the P500 list for reprinting at GMT Games; it needs 500 preregistered buyers to be reprinted. (I'm on the list, as I just missed it myself, though Randy has it).

Cheers!

FriarRosing

First Post
We played through all of the scenarios that came with the base game, and it was a blast. We tallied up the medals at the end, and I, as the Allies, lost by two. We're taking a break for a couple days, since we played it a ton over the past week. Soon we'll start on the Eastern Front, which I'm pretty excited for, and after that I'll have to get some other expansions. I still don't totally know what to get next.

Actually, I don't know how I feel about the expansions. Of course, I haven't played any yet, but looking over the contents of the Eastern Front one, I find it hard to justify the price it costs. I mean, we get a handful of new rules, a few new tiles (most of which don't even do anything new) and some new miniatures. Also there are the seven scenarios, which doesn't seem like that many. Also the cardboard that makes the box is not as strong. I like the new rules, I just wish there were more scenarios. I want more tiles that do different things, I think.

Not meaning to speak ill of the game, though. It's a blast. I just want more scenarios and rules and fewer new terrain tiles that do essentially the same things as the old terrain tiles. My hope is that perhaps the other expansions offer a little more. The Air Pack is the only one that sounds like it really offers something of significance.

Last edited:

MerricB

Eternal Optimist
Supporter
We played through all of the scenarios that came with the base game, and it was a blast. We tallied up the medals at the end, and I, as the Allies, lost by two. We're taking a break for a couple days, since we played it a ton over the past week. Soon we'll start on the Eastern Front, which I'm pretty excited for, and after that I'll have to get some other expansions. I still don't totally know what to get next.

Actually, I don't know how I feel about the expansions. Of course, I haven't played any yet, but looking over the contents of the Eastern Front one, I find it hard to justify the price it costs. I mean, we get a handful of new rules, a few new tiles (most of which don't even do anything new) and some new miniatures. Also there are the seven scenarios, which doesn't seem like that many. Also the cardboard that makes the box is not as strong. I like the new rules, I just wish there were more scenarios. I want more tiles that do different things, I think.

Not meaning to speak ill of the game, though. It's a blast. I just want more scenarios and rules and fewer new terrain tiles that do essentially the same things as the old terrain tiles. My hope is that perhaps the other expansions offer a little more. The Air Pack is the only one that sounds like it really offers something of significance.

Have you tried the online scenarios?

They're coming out with a campaign/scenario book as well.

When you get the Air Pack, you'll see it uses a bunch of stuff from the earlier expansions. Basically it updates all of the earlier scenarios with the new air rules, using lots of terrain pieces and minis from those sets. At that point, you realise why the expansions are good. :)

Cheers!

Remove ads