• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Warhammer Fantasy Roleplay Preview Picture

Emirikol

Adventurer
Just got a good look at what's inside the box for WFRP 3rd edition:

wfrp-preview1.jpg

Rykion

Explorer
It's definitely pretty. I'm still on the fence about whether to buy it or not. I probably will, but it's a big change rules wise. It also looks like a game that requires a lot of table space to play.

hexgrid

Explorer
There's been all this talk of it being more of a board game than an RPG, but there doesn't seem to be a board- or even a battlemap- in that picture. I wonder where you put all those counters?

Rykion

Explorer
There's been all this talk of it being more of a board game than an RPG, but there doesn't seem to be a board- or even a battlemap- in that picture. I wonder where you put all those counters?
I think the player standees are mainly for a general idea of position. There is no big board or battlemap as far as I know. There are all kind's of mini-boards and cards that use the counters though. There is an initiative tracker, a party sheet to use counters on, a stance tracker, etc. You can read about it all here: Fantasy Flight Games [News] - Leading publisher of board, card, and roleplaying games.

frankthedm

First Post
or even a battlemap-
It might not even have a battlemap. Tactics might be fully absorbed and used through combat cards and applications of dice result combos. Those standing placards for the characters might just be there to be placed as some sort of Sight range, missile range and Melee range indicator, rather than tracking the number of squares/inches apart characters are.

It is heresy to a mini centric person like myself, but given that there are plenty of "which inch of the gametable you are on matters" role playing & board games out there, some folks might love something a little different.

Skywalker

Adventurer
There is to be no battlemap. The game uses a relative positioning system and terrain cards to abstract combat.

I am guess that this was partially due to their licence with GW to avoid miniatures.

Obryn

Hero
It looks neat and well-made. It may be awesome, and I hope lots of people enjoy it.

I don't think it's my kind of game, though, and don't expect it would work for me and my group of players.

-O

ggroy

First Post
Any word on rules changes from earlier editions?

On a tangential issue, I wouldn't be surprised if WotC is watching the development of 3E WFRP very closely, both saleswise and whether the younger under-25 crowd latches on to it. If it turns out 3E WFRP is a big hit with the under-25 crowd, I wouldn't be surprised if future editions of D&D will follow in similar ways. :cool:

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads