• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Warhammer Fantasy Roleplay Preview Picture

lutecius

Explorer
On a tangential issue, I wouldn't be surprised if WotC is watching the development of 3E WFRP very closely, both saleswise and whether the younger under-25 crowd latches on to it. If it turns out 3E WFRP is a big hit with the under-25 crowd, I wouldn't be surprised if future editions of D&D will follow in similar ways. :cool:
ew. I hope not. What they've done to the WFRP line is bad enough.

In a way, I think this game was actually inspired by D&D4e (more gamist, more focused classes, restricted action, 2 playable elf races, short race relegated to supplements...)

Last edited:

Jhaelen

First Post
DM: You've been bitten by a diseased rat! Take a card from the Disease deck, then roll your Misfortune die to see which limb drops off. Then move yourself two points down the Health scale on your sheet, and don't forget to add a Contagion Token.
I don't think that's any different (or worse) than the way this is done in more traditional rpgs, like D&D:

DM: You've been bitten by a diseased rat! (rolls on the random disease table) Make a Fortitude save vs. DC 20 or take d6 Str damage. You also take d4 Con damage, so don't forget to adjust your max HP!

If you're looking at 4E replace the attribute damage with the disease track - same difference.

Having more gadgets isn't inherently better or worse. They certainly don't obviate the DM's job to describe everything that happens to the PCs (in both purely descriptive and game-rule terms). Ideally, they'll help to describe things better by fueling the group's imagination and save time better spent with roleplaying than dealing with game-mechanics.

I don't think that's any different (or worse) than the way this is done in more traditional rpgs, like D&D:

DM: You've been bitten by a diseased rat! (rolls on the random disease table) Make a Fortitude save vs. DC 20 or take d6 Str damage. You also take d4 Con damage, so don't forget to adjust your max HP!

If you're looking at 4E replace the attribute damage with the disease track - same difference.

Having more gadgets isn't inherently better or worse. They certainly don't obviate the DM's job to describe everything that happens to the PCs (in both purely descriptive and game-rule terms). Ideally, they'll help to describe things better by fueling the group's imagination and save time better spent with roleplaying than dealing with game-mechanics.
Yes. It is a change of representation. Instead of describing everything with numbers, they do it with props.

I think they keyword is accessibility. (Aside from the goal that is always there - making money with products. That's a given and requires no discussion. ;) )

Hand of Evil

Hero
Epic
My old fart view - It does not look like a role playing game and the box is too pretty for a grim world of adventure. WFRP was a game of intrigue and plot, where the greatest foe were not the monsters you fought but of mankinds tragic fall into chaos. This; this is just a one-shot table top adventure game.

Now my gamer view - The gaming world is changing, the industry is being hit hard by the online multi-player gaming market and changing tech. This looks to be appealing to that market or gamer dads/moms that want to introduce their deamon seed ;) to role-playing. Very little setup time and work by the GM and quick to play.

I hope it does well.

Oh, something for down the road: Surfacescapes Demo Walkthrough on Vimeo

and the thread discussing it: http://www.enworld.org/forum/general-rpg-discussion/266714-microsoft-surface-used-d-d.html

Last edited:

UngainlyTitan

Legend
Supporter
As a former player of 1e WHFRP i am intrigued, not a fan of dice pools in general but it sure looks pretty and reading the site combat 101/102 articles I am reminded of Victory Games wargames.
Probably cannot affoard it at this point in time but I think it is something i will pick up in future.

ggroy

First Post
ew. I hope not. What they've done to the WFRP line is bad enough.

In a way, I think this game was actually inspired by D&D4e (more gamist, more focused classes, restricted action, 2 playable elf races, short race relegated to supplements...)

Copycats copying one another in unison. :p

Rel

Liquid Awesome
I'm definitely interested to try it out. And I know just the person in our gaming group who is likely to buy it too...

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads