• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Warlocks Curse damage applied to a missed daily?

babinro

First Post
Situation came up where a warlock missed on a daily attack which deals half damage. As such, he let the damage resolve and the applied full curse damage afterwords. This seems like the PHB allows it...but it also seems abused to apply full curse damage on a miss. Any word on if this is legal?

Example: Daily does 20 damage on a hit. Half on a miss.
Warlock deals 10 damage on the miss, then applies his curse damage of 12 on his 2d6 for a total of 22 damage on a miss.

It seems to me a curse wouldn't work on miss, but PHB says it triggers when dealing damage.

Syrsuro

First Post
Per the errata:

Replace the third sentence of the first paragraph with the following: “If you hit a cursed enemy with an attack, you deal extra damage.”​

A miss with a daily, even a miss that does damage, is still a miss.

(FWIW: The ranger quarry was likewise fixed in the errata to answer this same question).

Carl

babinro

First Post
Thanks! While I use errata, I failed to catch that one.

Also, is there any way to delete a thread? I guess this doesn't need to exist now that you've fully answered my concern

Last edited:

DracoSuave

First Post
Thanks! While I use errata, I failed to catch that one.

Also, is there any way to delete a thread? I guess this doesn't need to exist now that you've fully answered my concern

See!

Sometimes having these threads around is useful, even if it's a simple Question/Response thing.

That said, it's perfectly acceptable to house-rule curse damage happening on a miss. It might help differentiate the Warlock, and help make him stand out as a bit more desirable and unique.

Nifft

Penguin Herder
That said, it's perfectly acceptable to house-rule curse damage happening on a miss. It might help differentiate the Warlock, and help make him stand out as a bit more desirable and unique.
That means Hammer Rhythm becomes rather stronger than intended: it means a miss would still deal Str + 2d6 + all on-a-damage-roll bonuses (enhancement, dwarven weapon training, etc.).

Compare that to a hit at Heroic level.

(I know this is borderline broken because it's one of the first tricks I used, pre-errata, for the Hexhammer.)

Cheers, -- N

DracoSuave

First Post
That means Hammer Rhythm becomes rather stronger than intended: it means a miss would still deal Str + 2d6 + all on-a-damage-roll bonuses (enhancement, dwarven weapon training, etc.).

Compare that to a hit at Heroic level.

(I know this is borderline broken because it's one of the first tricks I used, pre-errata, for the Hexhammer.)

Cheers, -- N

PARTY POOPER!

You're right tho. Jeesh.

Way to not think things through past level 10, DracoSuave.

Remove ads