Warner Bros wants to make Lord of the Rings films. Not remakes, fyi.

If they can get the rights to Tolkien's other writings, especially his "great tales" (Children of Hurin, Beren and Luthien, the Fall of Gondolin), there are some good movies to be made. If they can't, and they're stuck respinning the same 50 pages of the LotR appendices endlessly, then it would be better just to leave it alone.
Yeah, those could potentially be good movies. It'll take someone with "attunement" to the source material and the will to not pad out the material longer than it should be, but then it could be really good.

I would probably also take a new animated version of the original story if they wanted to do that.

100% this. If you just watch it w/o JUDGING IT against whatever "realism" for a fake world, it's quite good (with some great things and some not so great things). If you insist on comparing it to content they don't have the legal rights to use, and you don't like black elves, well, you are going to review bomb it. It's so silly, imo. There is nothing sacred about a fictional world.....nothing.
I haven't gotten around to watching that show, so I can't really opine, but, accepting your analysis, if I have to turn off the part of my brain that is invested in Middle Earth content to appreciate a piece of Middle Earth content it should not be made as Middle Earth content. Just make it as... anything else. Middle Earth minus a strong basis in Tolkien's actual writing is functionally just another generic fantasy world.

But I totally get how it could be a perfectly fine series on its own terms. I thought the Disney+ Willow series was a fairly charming little YA fantasy series, that mostly tonally clashed with the movie it was allegedly based on. On its own terms I think it was fine, as a sequel it was a bit lousy. But it only got made because some executive could be sold on visions of franchise and nostalgia dollars, which required messing with an old IP, and inviting all sorts of comparison thereto, most of which was unflattering to the mostly new IP. Perhaps being ugly stepchildren to nostalgic franchises they don't belong in is just the Faustian bargain a high fantasy series needs to make to get greenlit these days.

Mercurius

Legend
This thread kind of proves my point.... That serious fans want only the books, and not totally new stories in the same world. I really don't get that. We have those stories.
Well, I didn't comment in the thread yet, but I'll give you my perspective as someone who loves Tolkien's written works, really liked the first Jackson trilogy, and disliked RoP - and, in this case, am leery of this proposition.

To me, Middle-earth is Tolkien, and Tolkien was a genius. To do justice to his works is impossible; the best you can hope for is a quality homage, which is what PJ pulled off with the LotR trilogy.

I suppose it would be possible for the right person/people to "re-envision" Tolkien in a way that both honors his work and tells new tales, but it would be very, very difficult, nearly impossible really. So I'm not opposed to "new stories" on principle, I just see it as very difficult to do well.

I'd much rather see them pour that money into a new world or adaptation. It just seems rather exploitive and lacking in any kind of creative ingenuity: take a tried and true franchise, squeeze out every drop, then gather the drops with a new towel and squeeze that out too.

Zaukrie

New Publisher
Well, I didn't comment in the thread yet, but I'll give you my perspective as someone who loves Tolkien's written works, really liked the first Jackson trilogy, and disliked RoP - and, in this case, am leery of this proposition.

To me, Middle-earth is Tolkien, and Tolkien was a genius. To do justice to his works is impossible; the best you can hope for is a quality homage, which is what PJ pulled off with the LotR trilogy.

I suppose it would be possible for the right person/people to "re-envision" Tolkien in a way that both honors his work and tells new tales, but it would be very, very difficult, nearly impossible really. So I'm not opposed to "new stories" on principle, I just see it as very difficult to do well.

I'd much rather see them pour that money into a new world or adaptation. It just seems rather exploitive and lacking in any kind of creative ingenuity: take a tried and true franchise, squeeze out every drop, then gather the drops with a new towel and squeeze that out too.
I'd also prefer different books get made into shows...... But then those fans would be angry at every change.

I don't understand the opposition to new stories in middle earth.

Mercurius

Legend
I'd also prefer different books get made into shows...... But then those fans would be angry at every change.

I don't understand the opposition to new stories in middle earth.
Well I tried to explain my "opposition" to it, and it isn't really opposition as it is trepidation.

That said, what I'd love to see some pioneering studio do is gather a group of top fantasy authors and artists and say, "Make a world and story for us to tell." Meaning, a collaboration of different authors and artists, but with adaptation to film being part of the process.

Or just offer Steven Erikson a GRRM/HBO style gig, and have done with it.

Eyes of Nine

Everything's Fine
Sequel and prequels. Lord of the Rings Expanded Universe. Follow the exploits of King Aragorn in the Fourth Age. Witness the rise of yet another threat to the people of Middle Earth. Thrill as the wastrel grandson of Aragorn is forced to confront his legacy as he is tempted down the path of the Dark Side by Darth Krayt.

You know, the usual stuff.
I would assume it's prequels upon prequels upon prequels.

Remove ads