Warner Bros wants to make Lord of the Rings films. Not remakes, fyi.

MGibster

Legend
I don't think the setting is what matters the most here. Someone with a good strong vision, meaning they've got a story to tell, could write a good story set at just about any period in Middle Earth. And I'm saying this as someone who has almost zero interest in anything to do with Middle Earth. One of the problems they have is that Tolkien wrote a fantasy masterpiece, and odds are good whatever story you write is going to fall short. And this is assuming the studio doesn't interfere with the good story like they do so often.

ART!

Deluxe Unhuman
It sounds like the current deal gives them rights to adapt material from LOTR and The Hobbit. I'd love to see some Silmarillion adaptations, but that doesn't seem to be in the cards right now.

So, yeah, it sounds like an expanding LOTR/Hobbit universe, which means making up a lot of stuff, perhaps based on the LOTR appendices. Depending on the talent involved, any of this could be more or less "faithful" (whatever that means), and of more or less quality.

I default to optimistic, I try not to judge things for not being what I want them to be, and I mostly liked Rings of Power, so I'll probably at least somewhat enjoy whatever new stuff they wind up making.

Remove ads