Warner Bros wants to make Lord of the Rings films. Not remakes, fyi.

ValamirCleaver

Ein Jäger aus Kurpfalz
b74e5f9a7ac6cb4b859197d2f5bd9a4d.jpg

Last edited:

WayneLigon

Adventurer
Once they have some cast and a director, etc, on board, it might be worth paying attention to. Otherwise, with all the money problems WB is having lately, this sounds much more like hand-waving to placate the nervous investor class, and keep them from dumping WB stock. This is something it would take 3-4 years to get moving, and by then WB will have completely new owners, etc etc.

Zaukrie

New Publisher
Once they have some cast and a director, etc, on board, it might be worth paying attention to. Otherwise, with all the money problems WB is having lately, this sounds much more like hand-waving to placate the nervous investor class, and keep them from dumping WB stock. This is something it would take 3-4 years to get moving, and by then WB will have completely new owners, etc etc.
No one is going to keep stock based on this news. At least not in numbers that matter. I agree with the rest of your post one hundred percent.

Dausuul

Legend
No, they grew up and became humans. Remember the part where Gandalf points out each generation is a bit taller than the last? They eventually blend in with humans and become them.
That's purely an invention of Rankin-Bass.

Tolkien laid out the present-day state of hobbits in the prologue to LotR ("Concerning Hobbits"). Their numbers have dwindled; they are "estranged" from humans and avoid us with dismay. Their height today rarely exceeds three feet, and by their own account they used to be taller than they are now. The tallest hobbits in their records were Bandobras Took and "two famous characters of old" (i.e., Merry and Pippin).

Tolkien also notes that hobbits are "relatives of ours." Although he doesn't say so, the implication to me is that hobbits are descendants of humans of the First Age who grew smaller -- not taller -- over the generations, a trend which continued through the time of LotR and into the present day.

I don't think it is, and I challenge you to find where in the text it is, if so. It's been discussed at length on various Tolkien forums, and literally not a single person managed to come up with a quote from the books to support it. It's possible they all just missed it, but I think if you're going to claim that, you need to back it up.

Unfinished Tales suggests hobbits are around in later eras, just in fearful hiding, note, not hiding in plain sight as humans or something.

Remove ads