• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Warrior-Mage Prestige Classes: which are viable & which are not

Storyteller01

First Post
Might not help, but I'll throw in some 3rd party PrC's I've liked.

Green Steel Monk: Green Ronin
-A sect of monks that believe becoming a demon is the path of perfection. Gains some minor spellcasting. No caster levels required.

Wyrd: HoHF: Half Orcs
-a barbarian/sorcerer hybrid. Gains spellcaster advancement every other level. Can enhance spells by gaining 'charges' from rages. Can take a feat that allows them to cast while raging (concentration check needed), tends to explode if overcharged.

Hoodoo: HoHF: Half Orcs
-a barbarian/wizard hybrid, gains spellcasting every other level, gains divination spells as spell-like abilities, can sac spells per day for summoning raging creatures, with the right feats they can summon their own raging mount, can take the same rage casting feat as the Wyrd.

Layrunner: HoHF: Elves
-a barbarian/wizard hybrid, gians spellcasting every other level, can convert rage into celerity (str and con bonuses become speed and dex bonuses)

Last edited:

charlesatan

Explorer
StGabe said:
FWIW, the character that is effectively a gestalt fighter/mage is the Abjurant Champion. As I stated, the classes that do at least slightly stagger the casting progression and/or the hit die are at least a start towards balance. The EK, for example, is far closer to balanced than the Champion although a quick comparison to other classes demonstrates that it's not nearly there.

I don't think anyone on this board doesn't think that the Abjurant Champion is "too good". Every other warrior-mage prestige class however gives up something. In the case of the EK, as I pointed out earlier, you're losing out on two levels of spellcasting at the very least. Or will you now complain that the Mystic Theurge is similarly imbalance because it combines the Cleric and the Wizard, or that the Arcane Trickster is also imbalanced because you're combining the Rogue and the Wizard?

StGabe said:
It's all well and good to say "yeah but I just want to buff myself for combat". Ok, great. But you don't need level 9 spells for that and you really have no business having them with a BAB that is better than a rogue or a monks. All that's well and good, yet, you still do have those level 9 spells and the Wizard class was built with the lowest hit die and BAB for a reason -- the spells are *that* powerful.

Higher level spells means you're more effective in the same way that a Fighter prizes a higher base attack. Honestly, there's not much difference between a +20 BAB and +16 BAB since you still have the same number of attacks but it's nice.

Rogues get sneak attack dice. Have you seen a Two-Weapon Fighting high-level Rogue that managed to hit with every attack?

And honestly, the only reason I think Wizards are as they are isn't necessarily for balance reasons but because of sacred cows, a hold-over from the previous editions of D&D. You said it yourself in an earlier post, Clerics and Druids are the most powerful classes in the game. Yet you're not complaining about them. A 20th-level Cleric can easily outshine a 20th-level Wizard. But at the end of the day, they're both "spellcasters" and while they have different spell lists, the Cleric/Druid isn't quite lacking in offensive spells (Flamestrike, Firestorm, etc.).

Are spells powerful? Yes. But so is a Orc Barbarian 2/Fighter 4/Eye of Gruumsh 4/Frenzied Berserker 10 who has 58 Str and can Power Attack at a ratio of 4:1 when wielding a two-handed weapon. I'm not saying non-spellcaster types are equalling spellcasters, mind you, but at the end of the day, you have to bear in mind that D&D isn't Street Fighter or a PVP MMORPG but rather a team game and you and your party members are all playing on the same team.

StGabe said:
On whether a 10/10 fighter/mage is as powerful as other classes or not, I'll grant you that some synergy is lost. However, such a combo is still quite effective. You don't have to have Wish. Such a character still has a lot of great spells and with ready access to buffs and an excellent BAB end up with combat durabilty and damage that are quite competitive with a rogue or monk of the same level. I don't comprehend why you should expect more than that except that there is an inherent mentality that "if I'm not the most powerful character in the party then I can't have fun". Multiclassing is about give and take and yes, sometimes you give up synergy if you go for a build that "has it all". If you need to have just as good of buffs as the pure wizard in the party then what's his job? Why do you expect to be just as good as him and also be almost as good of a tank/warrior as the fighter? Where the heck is the bard in all this? Or the sorceror (who is casting the same level spells as you if you go wizard and without any combat ability whatsoever)? Heck, what does the cleric do but be a healbot?

People go warrior-mage because it's fun. Not necessarily powergaming fun but fun because it's a different role. You're neither Conan nor Gandalf but rather you're Elric who results to more spellcasting than usual. Or Corwin of Amber. It's also the same reason why people pick up Hexblades and Duskblades. Does a 20th-level Hexblade equal a 20th-level Fighter? Or a 20th-level Duskblade a 20th-level Wizard? Not necessarily but they go ahead and play them because it's different.

And no, a Fighter 10/Wizard 10 can't emulate a Hexblade 20. Or a Duskblade 20. (And neither does a Hexblade 20 emulate a Duskblade 20 and vice versa -- they may both be "warrior-mages" but they're each performing a different role: the former is more of a "debuffer" while the latter is more offensive oriented, throwing in the occassional ray but not fireballs.)

Other people's roles isn't invalidated by your choice. I mean I can't believe any party couldn't use an additional Fighter. And rounds spent buffing yourself means rounds the Wizard can hurl a fireball at the opponent. Or the Cleric healing someone else (or actually wading into combat).

It only degenerates into a PVP situation if you let it. And warrior-mages aren't as good as a dedicated tank.

StGabe said:
As for those who are "ignoring me". Have at it. I'm providing an alternative view. I'm a DM and I'm also a professional game developer (albeit video games, not pen and paper). Balance is important to me and I have a lot of experience creating game systems. The term "viable" in the title meant to me "what is viable gameplay-wise" and I'm just offering my opinion on that. An opinion that you can take or leave as you will.

We appreciate alternative views. It's one thing to say however that "warrior-mages are powerful" from "warrior-mages are about as broken as gestalt classes". You need to back the latter up with more convincing arguments than what you've presented. And so far, no one's convinced. And the fact of the matter is, they aren't up to par as gestalt classes.

I'm about balance too. But you can't perceive balance in an isolated environment. Take the Bard. Contrary to popular belief, I don't think the Bard is weak. Sure, if it goes toe to toe with the Fighter, he'll die. But that's not his role. His role is to buff the party. Few classes can give a +6 morale bonus to attack and damage after all for example. He's "balanced" in the context of the party, not of the individual.

And FYI, just because you're a game developer doesn't necessarily mean you're a good one, just as there are successful businessmen and unsuccessful ones. (Not that I'm saying you're not good, by the way. I have nothing to base any claim against or for it.)

I'm Cleo

First Post
StGabe,

No one's arguing that we need Wish; no one's arguing that a build has to "have it all"; no one's arguing that every character has to be the most powerful in the group.

You also seem to be making broad statements like, "Multiclassing is about . . ." or "[a character has] no business with . . ." Again, I suggested that classes like the Eldritch Knight may not conform to your aesthetic ideals of balance (perhaps developed through your experience in the industry), but when you actually get them on the table, they're not unbalanced -- "unbalanced" defined as routinely stealing the spotlight from the other characters or doing far more than any other character could.

Charlesatan also makes a good point: the armor and BAB restrictions of Wizards, even at mid levels, are meaningless. You can give yourself a 60 STR if you want, or you can buff your AC to the sky. If those restrictions are part of a balance analysis, the analysis is divorced from actual results on the gaming table -- it's an aesthetic sensibility. That's fine; I guess my point was just that different people on this thread are appealing to different conceptions of "balance".

If you need to have just as good of buffs as the pure wizard in the party then what's his job? Why do you expect to be just as good as him and also be almost as good of a tank/warrior as the fighter? Where the heck is the bard in all this? Or the sorceror (who is casting the same level spells as you if you go wizard and without any combat ability whatsoever)? Heck, what does the cleric do but be a healbot?

The wizard's job is to cast wizard spells at enemies -- usually crowd control stuff, since that's the wizard's strength (Glitterdust, Web, Solid Fog, Walls, Enchantments), and be ready to buff the characters who can't buff themselves. The Fighter is the tank, because the Eldritch Knight doesn't have the durability. The bard, I assume, is playing music and doing more crowd control. The sorceror is casting his spells? And clerics are more than healbots generally -- the presence of a character who can cast arcane buffs on himself doesn't change their abilities. I guess I don't understand how every other character's role is defined solely in terms of their relationship to the Eldritch Knight. E.g., if a meleer can buff himself, the wizard "loses" part of his role?

Abjurant Champion is, we all must admit, pretty amazing. :)

Charlesatan,

I didn't mean to imply that Eldritch Knight wasn't a valid class choice, only that the player in my group never felt like he was vastly "more" than the straight fighter or wizard. He did his thing well, and when he got to mid-high levels (when the combo really comes together), he was polymorphing, DPS-ing and grappling (he loved MM3's troll forms) for the party.

By the way, isn't Draconic Polymorph only 1 round / level, but it's Range: Personal, so it can be Persisted?

I'm Cleo!

Patlin

Explorer
The main think balancing Abjurant Champion in my home games is a house rule. We only allow 1 prestige class per character, so going with a 5 level class is a bit of a sacrifice in and of itself.

Well, that and the designer of Abjurant champion not realizing that Mage Armor is a conjuration spell. That's sort of anoying, too.

wildstarsreach

First Post
Felon said:
Looks sufficiently nasty, though you seem to have some wizard levels that could be EK levels. I take it there are no multi-classing penalties in this campaign?

The character is a LA +0 male drow whose favored class is wizard. By staying within these limits he avoids the multiclass penalties since wizard is the last of the based classes. Wizard 5 gives me a metamagic feat as opposed to EK which does from levels 7-10.

wildstarsreach

First Post
charlesatan said:
Wraithstrike.

Polymorph/Metamorphosis (although there is a Psionic Tattoo that bestows this ability 1/day). Draconic Polymorph (+8 Str, +2 Con)

Bite of the Werebear (+16 Str, +8 Con)

Superior Invisibility

Arcane Strike (not really a spell)

Greater Mighty Wallop (turn that 1d12 Greathammer into 8d6)

Ferocity of Sanguine Rage (1/2 caster level morale bonus to damage)

Dragonsight (blindsense, darkvision, etc.)

There's also a bunch of other buffs in Complete Mage.

P.S. Here's a 20th-level Warrior-Mage build: not my best but it's there for simplicity (hence no Polymorph!): http://charlesatan.vox.com/library/post/sample-20thlevel-pc-gish.html

Nasty character, I love it.

charlesatan

Explorer
I'm Cleo said:
By the way, isn't Draconic Polymorph only 1 round / level, but it's Range: Personal, so it can be Persisted?

I checked it. I was wrong; it's 1 minute/level. I probably Persisted it at the time or something.

Edit: 1 hour/level was probably a hold-over from 3.0 on my part.

Last edited:

charlesatan

Explorer
Patlin said:
The main think balancing Abjurant Champion in my home games is a house rule. We only allow 1 prestige class per character, so going with a 5 level class is a bit of a sacrifice in and of itself.

Well, that and the designer of Abjurant champion not realizing that Mage Armor is a conjuration spell. That's sort of anoying, too.

There is one thing mitigating Abjurant Champion from the non warrior-mages (gish!) out there: qualifying for it. For a Gish, qualifying for Abjurant Champion can be done in six levels. For a straight Wizard, however, you'd need at least ten levels to meet the BAB +5 prerequisites. And the fact that it is just 5 levels and not 10 partially makes it okay.

Spellcasters wanting better hp and base attack without sacrificing spellcasting are better off with the Sacred Exorcist prestige class. They get turning to boot.

There's two (three) spells that give an armor bonus yet belongs to the Abjuration school: Ectoplasmic Armor (Spell Compedium, applies only to incorporeal touch attacks), and Luminous/Greater Luminous Armor (Book of Exalted Deeds, Sanctified Spell, sacrificing 1d2/1d3 Str).

P.S. My problem with the 1 prestige class ruling is that there are some prestige classes which are really meant to be dips (as in the flavor dictates it and it's not the munchkin player). Prestige classes such as the Exotic Weapon Master (Complete Warrior) or the Stoneblessed (not exactly a dip but it's just 3 levels and you can take it before you hit 5th-level) or even the Racial Paragon classes.

charlesatan

Explorer
wildstarsreach said:
The character is a LA +0 male drow whose favored class is wizard. By staying within these limits he avoids the multiclass penalties since wizard is the last of the based classes. Wizard 5 gives me a metamagic feat as opposed to EK which does from levels 7-10.

Uh, you're still suffering XP penalties for the Ninja 3/Fighter 1 levels. It could be Ninja 2/Fighter 2...

Remove ads