• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Warshaper immunity to criticals.. unfair?

SnowHeart

First Post
I like the rules-based solution above concerning Penetrating Strike, but I also have to say I would not make a house rules for this. Theoretically, could almost every NPC you come across have that level in Warshaper? Um, sure, I guess. :hmm: Is it likely or believable? Not really -- unless you're going up against a cult of warshapers, which means you're dealing with a DM who has pretty much decided to eliminate the rogue's combat viability for that adventure, which is a DMing issue, not a class build issue.

Every class has abilities and attacks that are countered by certain defenses. It forces you to rely on a balanced party build and to think outside the box to remain somewhat effective. That's a good thing, IMO.

udalrich

First Post
One issue/feature/problem with the rogue class is it tends to (in combat) be all or nothing. If he can get in a full, sneak attack against a vulnerable creature, it's hard to match his output. If the creature is immune, then the rogue can't do much more than be a flanking buddy and aid another.

While it's certainly boring for a player to sit through a combat, rolling a die and saying "I didn't roll a 1, Flaagr gets +2 to his AC", it does balance the fact that in almost every other situation, the rogue can be one of the leading characters.

DarkelvenSFi

First Post
Thanks for the input guys. Great advice all around.

I do agree that the warshaper prestige class (along with master of many forms) is over powered, and has the potential to be abused. But the same can be said for a range of other classes. It really comes down to making a compromise between player and DM; which is much of the reason for me posting here.

kevin_video

Explorer
Our DM nerfed Polymorph and Wild Shape to such an extent, it could make you cry. So of course Warshaper was nerfed as well. Just because you're immune to "critical hits", doesn't mean you're immune to sneak attacks because you've still got a CON. Figure that one out. Might make your head explode. We do allow the Penetrate ability though, and the DM made it so that the rogue can take it as a bonus feat.

Even though you're immune in your shape changed form, you're not immune in your regular form. I look at this like a Warforged. The poor rogue only has a 25% change of back stabbing one of those things due to them automatically getting Light Fortification at character creation. However, if they take Improved Fortification, they gain 100%. You can take that at like 2nd lvl, so the rogue's out there too.

This is probably the only class and ability the rogue is worthless against. Everything else, you can get crystal (true death, demolition, etc) to do damage against everything else you normally can't crit or sneak attack.

There's always going to be something out there.

Malisteen

First Post
Does it really matter? I mean, you're already a druid. If you found yourself fighting enemies with sneak attack, couldn't you just wild shape into a plant or an elemental and be immune even without taking the prestige class? Or just throw a couple buffs on your pet bear and have it beat the pestering rogues for you while you take a nap somewhere?

Again. Seriously. You're playing a druid. Unless your DM is nerfing the class, there's not much out there shy of Planar Shepherd that actually adds enough power to be a noticeable increase over the crazy power you already have.

To paraphrase the evil gnome in OotS: "I am a druid! I have class features more powerful then you're entire class!"

Remove ads