D&D 5E Was I in the wrong?

Nytmare

David Jose
Someone who complains about an event like that the most is probably one of the more INVESTED people at the table. So as much as I see the OP complain about a guy being on his phone, there's most definitely another side to that specific coin. Especially since the OP is using this aspect of the story to justify his actions.

This is one of the most ridiculous things I've ever seen written on these forums.

Noctem

Explorer
You've confused politely telling somebody that you disagree with their approach with calling them names. Reign it in, please.

Claiming that trusting the DM of a game (any DM in this case) not to be a douche should be par for the course vs calling the creator of the thread a douche are two different things. I did the former and not the latter.

Noctem

Explorer
There are a lot of possible ways to read his reaction. The phone guy might be more invested in the story than was previously thought. He might also just be in it for the loot, and was the most unhappy about losing that loot. It could swing either way, but we will never really know until he gets on here himself to tell his side.

Possible yes. However both represent an investment in the game at the table which the OP, it would seem, has stated multiple times now he's under the impression is not the case "because he's on his cell phone all the time".

Faenor

Explorer
My point wasn't to determine who was acting like an adult and who wasn't. None of them were. Most adults don't act like adults most of the time.

Noctem

Explorer
Or perhaps just the biggest crybaby.

One can care about the outcome of a game ( be invested) and still not pay attention during play.

A grownup would be able to see the connection between lax attention and poor outcomes and correct the problem.

A child would throw a tantrum believing themselves entitled to favorable outcomes regardless of effort.

You're claiming the cell phone using player threw a tantrum and believed himself entitled to a favorable outcome regardless of effect. You have no grounds to make the claim. Everyone at the table was unhappy with the actions of the DM. The DM is now claiming that the cell phone user was the most unhappy out of all of them. I say there's 2 sides to the coin and the DM using the cell phone user as a scapegoat to justify his behavior does not mean that the cell phone user had a tantrum or whatever other belittling lingo you want to use.

Lanliss

Explorer
Possible yes. However both represent an investment in the game at the table which the OP, it would seem, has stated multiple times now he's under the impression is not the case "because he's on his cell phone all the time".

To each their own, but I wouldn't consider playing D&D for nothing but the loot to be a real investment. The only investment we have been told of is time on this guy's part, and even that is split with whatever he is doing on his phone, so he is not really losing time by playing. All together, based solely on the descriptions given, he shows almost no actual investment UNTIL he felt they had been screwed out of an item.

EDIT: I should add, I don't have any problem with those who play for loot, I am simply saying that D&D gives rich options for character and world development, and that these two take far more investment than simply collecting whatever loot is thrown at you.

Last edited:

Noctem

Explorer
This is one of the most ridiculous things I've ever seen written on these forums.

68747470733a2f2f33312e6d656469612e74756d626c722e636f6d2f35356431373063383938623234303738336463333332313234626264313937642f74756d626c725f696e6c696e655f6e34666f616672613043317365773830682e6a7067

And if that's really the most ridiculous thing you've seen written on these forums then you need to get out more.

Noctem

Explorer
To each their own, but I wouldn't consider playing D&D for nothing but the loot to be a real investment. The only investment we have been told of is time on this guy's part, and even that is split with whatever he is doing on his phone, so he is not really losing time by playing. All together, based solely on the descriptions given, he shows almost no actual investment UNTIL he felt they had been screwed out of an item.

EDIT: I should add, I don't have any problem with those who play for loot, I am simply saying that D&D gives rich options for character and world development, and that these two take far more investment than simply collecting whatever loot is thrown at you.

Well to be fair, the group was screwed out of multiple items and/or gold :p

But fair enough. I understand where you're coming from.

Remove ads