• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Was V's act evil? (Probable spoilers!)

Was V's act evil, under "D&D morality"?

• Yes.

Votes: 252 82.4%
  • No.

Votes: 44 14.4%
  • I'm not sure.

Votes: 10 3.3%

Quartz

Hero
Nope. Not evil. A harsh but fair punishment. Remember that the dragon was going to soul bind V's children. V hasn't done that. What he's done isn't a nice thing, but it's not Evil.

Cadfan

First Post
If its morally acceptable to kill one dragon just 'cause its evil, its morally acceptable to kill lots.

That's why I'm not a big fan of alignment by species. The idea of inherent evil gets screwy really fast. And you can't make exceptions, even though they do, because if your exceptions exist because of anything other than divine intervention, the original version of the monster must not have been inherently evil in the first place.

Gulla

Adventurer
I voted "no" since I tend to subscribe (in D&D) to the "killing evil is good" and black dragons (like goblins, drow and orcs) are a vermin on D&D society that should be exterminated.

The spell OTOH would in my world be *Evil* in itself so that makes using it Evil as well. Difficult situation when you have to place morality into a world where good and evil are measurable quantities and not relative at all...

Håkon

Blackrat

He Who Lurks Beyond The Veil
Yes, in my mind that was evil. Contrary to what one might read from my post in the other thread, I do give my dragons some variety in my games. Therefore, in that alignment system, some of his victims might have actually been innocent, and killing innocents is evil IMO.

I'm A Banana

Potassium-Rich
Abuse of power -- slaying those that have no chance to protest, robbing them of life based solely on your egomaniacal judgment, and disrespecting the concept of life in general -- is certainly Evil.

If its morally acceptable to kill one dragon just 'cause its evil, its morally acceptable to kill lots.

The "slippery slope" argument doesn't really hold up. If most D&D adventurers are more "practical neutral"/"unaligned," they can do the occasional wicked deed, and, more to the point, killing a dragon usually comes in the context of stopping it from killing the PC's, or stopping it from rampaging accross the countryside, or in some other way justifying its eradication. Murder for the sake of murder -- death for the sake of tormenting, for the sake of vengeance -- probably should be evil.

I play in some very morally ambiguous games, but this was not very morally ambiguous to me.

Remove ads