• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Was V's act evil? (Probable spoilers!)

Was V's act evil, under "D&D morality"?

• Yes.

Votes: 252 82.4%
  • No.

Votes: 44 14.4%
  • I'm not sure.

Votes: 10 3.3%

hamishspence

Adventurer
All right, so its a bit contrived. Still, the point is, situations where the survival of one necessitates the killing of the other are not all that implausible.

Two people (tourists?), trip into desert, car breakdown. Here, thirst can be much more pressing.

Or the classic Space dilemma- only enough air for one.

Zimri

First Post
Nope. 1 out of 60. The rest of the family that were killed by V was not going after her family members at all.

So an overwhelming majority of the black dragons depicted, most of them albeit very briefly, had chosen not to partake in the single black dragon's quest for vengeance.

We have only seen any kind of actions , upon which to base conclusions from 2 the YABD and the ABD.

The ABD was appropriately smug through most of the encounter that I would have to think she didn't think to ask any family members aid. After all she was superior in intellect, cunning, had surprise on her side and was facing 1 wizard and 3 commoners.

I wonder why the oracle would mislead one of his own kind like that, was he perhaps instructed to by Tiamat ?

Maggan

Writer for CY_BORG, Forbidden Lands and Dragonbane
We have only seen any kind of actions , upon which to base conclusions from 2 the YABD and the ABD.

If there's anything I learned from my studies of statistical analysis it is that the error margin is almost infinite if you try to extrapolate the behaviour of an entire species out of a population of two.

Or to put it another way, out of the 50% that have shown a predisposition for vengeance, 100% are dead. So there would be not threat left.

/M

Zimri

First Post
All right, so its a bit contrived. Still, the point is, situations where the survival of one necessitates the killing of the other are not all that implausible.

Two people (tourists?), trip into desert, car breakdown. Here, thirst can be much more pressing.

Or the classic Space dilemma- only enough air for one.

In the desert on earth assuming as the first premise did that help can be contacted then help is also much closer. any military and most hospitals/police departments should be able to get to someone well with 24 hours which according to the information I was quickly able to fish up is how long you can go under duress without water. Of course if they were in a car and even remotely prepared (and intelligent)they can make water in the desert.

In space the captain sends the two shuttlecraft with the remaining crew in opposite directions while he hallucinates until help arrives, tries to kill him, he gets the part he needs then real help arrives.

billd91

Not your screen monkey (he/him) 🇺🇦🇵🇸🏳️‍⚧️
So is V lying there ? We know through the comic that of all the representatives of this black dragon family at LEAST 50% of them prefer vengeance and going after family members. When dealing with your spouse and children is 50% an acceptable risk? It isn't for me.

She was protecting her family as best she could at the time given her mental state.

Protecting herself = neutral Check

Protecting the helpless ( I don't see her kids or mate fending off dragon attacks ad infinitum or being able to be "sequestered and secluded" where they can't be found) = Good check.

Do you call something you enjoy doing a task ? Does it really matter IF she enjoyed doing it or not ?

If this becomes the standard, all we have to do is come up with a sufficiently tortured rationale for anything that a character does to classify it as not evil.

At some point, you just have to look at V's distraught emotions, faulty logic, lack of foresight, and call BS.

Krensky

First Post

The ABD was appropriately smug through most of the encounter that I would have to think she didn't think to ask any family members aid. After all she was superior in intellect, cunning, had surprise on her side and was facing 1 wizard and 3 commoners.

I wonder why the oracle would mislead one of his own kind like that, was he perhaps instructed to by Tiamat ?

Two individuals is a meaningful sample of either an entire species or an entire family?

And their actions justifies, no more then justifies, demands the death of their entire extended family who as far as we can tell had nothing to do with this?

V committed mass murder. That's an evil act.

Mort

Legend
Supporter
Sure, and her mental state = possessed by three supremely evil magic-users. That will factor in when V goes up for an alignment audit.
/M

Of course so will the fact that he clearly chose to be posessed by evil magic users even when given a clearly viable and non-evil alternative (Which was the whole point V had to willingly choose the route of damnation, not be forced into it).

Maggan

Writer for CY_BORG, Forbidden Lands and Dragonbane
Of course so will the fact that he clearly chose to be posessed by evil magic users even when given a clearly viable and non-evil alternative (Which was the whole point V had to willingly choose the route of damnation, not be forced into it).

Good point, although I could debate whether the other way was "clearly viable". :D

/M

Last edited:

Zimri

First Post
Two individuals is a meaningful sample of either an entire species or an entire family?

And their actions justifies, no more then justifies, demands the death of their entire extended family who as far as we can tell had nothing to do with this?

V committed mass murder. That's an evil act.

According to some people in key positions, holding degrees from very respected universities, yes a small subset is a valid sample.

We were shown through the actions of 50% of the black dragons who's actions we could measure that there would be revenge coming and it would be the escalating kind not the proportional kind.

I put to you .. would you take that chance with YOUR family ?

The evil way of solving this .. Kill your own family so no one else can ever use them as leverage against you.

ProfessorCirno

Banned
Banned
according to some people in key positions, holding degrees from very respected universities, yes a small subset is a valid sample.

FFFFFFFFFFFF

Hello there I work with the statistics in said positions with said degree holders in said universities and you are so very very very wrong it is making my blood boil.

Edit: Tell you what, prove to me that the entire population of black dragons is about, let's say, ten, and you may have a point.

Last edited:

Remove ads