D&D General Was your first experience with D&D as a player or as a DM?

Was your first experience with D&D as a player or DM?

• As a player with an experienced DM

Votes: 54 42.9%
  • A a player with a first time DM

Votes: 38 30.2%
  • As a DM

Votes: 34 27.0%

Clint_L

Hero
As a player. I was in Grade 8 and my friend Willem was invited me to play a game with his older brother, who was in college. A few of us got to play with those cool college kids before starting our own campaign, where I was the main DM. This is also when I started listening to bands like Black Sabbath and Rush, because obviously if the DM was into them, they had to be cool!

cbwjm

Seb-wejem
I first started playing as a DM with the rules cyclopedia with my cousin. We had some thunder rift modules pretty early on, though I'm not sure if we had them from the start or if we got them later on.

Self taught DM. I was bad when I started out. I mean, golly whiz no improvising ability in the slightest, overpowered NPCs showing up to do the important stuff, basically making the players sit through a terrible novel kind of bad.

It was bad, is what I'm saying.

I remember the NPC that is secretly a God, being an all too common occurrence in my early days of D&D.

Looking back at the poll, I’m not sure it really tells us anything interesting or new and I probably could have done a better job with the options available.
But I really appreciate everyone who participated, especially those that took the time to write about their initial experience.

Remove ads