Watch These 4 Trailers for Ravnica

Watch all of them to really get a feel for the setting, then buy the enovels for the setting on Amazon. I reading the first one and so far it entertaining.

Watch all of them to really get a feel for the setting, then buy the enovels for the setting on Amazon.

I reading the first one and so far it entertaining.

gyor

Legend
Want to get a quick feel for the upcoming Ravnica setting for D&D? Then check out these four trailers for the setting, originally produced for Magic: the Gathering.

Screen Shot 2018-07-26 at 12.44.37.png

[video=youtube_share;qOWPqFWe4Zw]https://youtu.be/qOWPqFWe4Zw[/video]

[video=youtube_share;NiaDSWzY9HM]https://youtu.be/NiaDSWzY9HM[/video]

[video=youtube_share;FUlZ-jzcaVk]https://youtu.be/FUlZ-jzcaVk[/video]

[video=youtube_share;gZf08OBag4o]https://youtu.be/gZf08OBag4o[/video]​

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2018-07-26 at 12.44.37.png
    Screen Shot 2018-07-26 at 12.44.37.png
    555.5 KB · Views: 24,473
Last edited by a moderator:

Ymdar

Explorer
Thanks for sharing. Actually this is not a bad setting. Might use it as a second base for when my current group gets planeshift spells.

Ramaster

Adventurer
I once ran a campaign on Ravnica (I'm a pathfinder player that also plays MTG) and the setting is a blast to run. Dripping with flavor. The "10 guilds" structure lends itself to a million adventures.

On the one I ran, the PCs worked for the Orzhov (actually their contact was a Dimir spy!) and had to investigate an Izzet proyect. Turns out the Izzet were constructing a series of planar portals that were very dangerous, so they had to solve that while they fought Rakdos cultists, Gruul berserkers and even a Golgari infestation while they foiled the Azorius lawmages and Boros night patrols that were also investigating. It was all very organic and fell right into place seamlessly.

machineelf

Explorer
I'm glad they're doing a new campaign world, and happy for the people excited about it. But I'm also glad they gave Eberron some love. The more I've collected the books and put together notes on the world, the more I've come to appreciate how beautifully well built and playable it is. I think you have to read more than the general campaign guide to truly appreciate it.

But I'll gladly play a character in the world of Ravnica if the DM is passionate about it. And it looks interesting enough.

Thanks for sharing. The artwork is lovely... the setting however comes across as a generic MMO setting to me. When I look for new D&D settings, I pay extra attention to the names of the world, cities, countries, organizations, etc. When those names are generic fantasy, I instantly pass on the setting. I hate to say it, but most of what I saw in these trailers seemed terribly unimaginative.

Good naming is very important in world building. It makes the difference between an immersive believable world, and one that seems like a generic commercial fantasy product. I ask myself the questions: Is this a world that could really exist? Are these cultures that could really exist, and would they name their organizations, cities and countries as the setting presents them? All too often with these settings you see races that only seem to exist as "things the players can play", rather than races that fit the world they are supposed to inhabit. It feels like they are just ticking off a few boxes, rather than actually building a world.

I'm a bit surprised that games (both tabletop and computer) seem to be so bad at writing worlds, when there are so many great fantasy authors out there that do so well at it.

Converse02

Explorer
I don't know much about these worlds, but Eberron and Ravnica seem to bare similarities. Both appear urban environments with Guilds/Dragonmarked Houses and attempts to make magic appear organic. Can someone explain differences, similarities, compatibility, etc.

Remove ads

Remove ads