Watchmen HBO Final Episode [SPOILERS]

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
Loved it. It was a slow start and for the first two episodes I wasn't sure I was going to continue, but it managed to grab me and then didn't let go.

doctorbadwolf

Heretic of The Seventh Circle
I have been skeptical enough to not bother even watching it, but now everything I’m seeing is positive, even from other skeptics who went ahead and watched it.

Noting that I don’t care about faithfulness of adaptation (most of the time. I can’t help it with lotr, but most stuff I don’t care), and was partly worried that it would just vaguely wave in the direction of real social commentary but then fail to say anything meaningful, should I go back and watch it? Is it that good?

doctorbadwolf

Heretic of The Seventh Circle
Addressing your concerns:

1. It isn't a remake, or a re-imagining, of the original, which is good. Think of it as taking place in the same universe but later on. As such, you don't need to worry about the faithfulness of the adaptation. And, fwiw, it builds on the original comic themes, not the movie.

2. It has real social commentary. Very real. So real, in fact, that I remember thinking during the opening of the first episode- woah. Can't believe that they are going there.

3. Yes, it is quite good. I think it's interesting that it seems to be getting a lot more play on "critic's sites" than on the usual nerd-adjacent areas.
Thanks! Seems like it avoided all the pitfalls I was sure it would drown in. I’ll check it out soon!

I agree with you 100% about the Leftovers. Man, what an incredible show! Brutal, heart-wrenching...just beautifully crafted.

Watchmen was good. There were some episodes that were truly excellent, but I did have to roll my eyes a little at the social/political commentary. The good news is that it didn't detract from the story overall.

I did like that they left the end of the season/series as ambiguous.

There may never be another show that ends as perfectly as the Leftovers.

It's like Damon Lindelof spent a few years reading what people said about Lost and was all like, "Yeah, well, I'll show them. I'll show them all. I'll show them good. I'll make 'em hurt so bad they'll all go back to watching Cheers."

Man, it was emotionally brutal, but so good. So damn good!! If anyone here hasn't seen it yet, WATCH IT!

I was impressed that they even tried to handle some of the social/political commentary. I mean ... this isn't giving anything away because it's in the first episode (and because the thread is marked with spoilers) but anyone trying to tackle race relations, and police, and those types of issues in a pop-culture setting better come with an asbestos suit.

It didn't detract too much from the overall story. But, in places, it was a bit heavy handed, which induced the eyerolls.

Remove ads