D&D (2024) We’ll be merging the One D&D and D&D forums shortly

payn

He'll flip ya...Flip ya for real...
I can't believe it's not butter. :)
tumblr_inline_o4cjjg1Oqv1r18uik_500.gifv

Chaosmancer

Legend
My store has had both covers on the shelves since WotC started doing them.

Okay, that answers the first question. Here were the rest:

Are we going to assume that a DM who owns a 2014 PHB isn't at least going to ASK when they see a player with a PHB with a different cover which one that is? Maybe ask why they got the limited edition one, ask to see it? You know... interact like human beings?

For this confusion to affect the game, the DM in this situation has to have no idea about the 2024 rules, and absolutely no desire to look at their friends PHB that looks different than theirs. And even then, even if that is the case, when the rules don't match up... won't the DM ask? Won't they seek to know why their player is using a different rulebook? Because that is option 2 in the scenario I gave.

Chaosmancer

Legend
Figuring out you bought the wrong book after paying 50 dollars for it is the problem I’m talking about.

How do they know it is the wrong book until they have a DM? Are you suggesting that a DM would send their player to a store to buy their own PHB, with no indication or assistance in which one they needed to get?

What if a player goes and buys the 2014 PHB, and then the DM they find to play with wants to use the 2024 rules? Is that a problem that changing the branding or cover of the 2024 rules could prevent?

Chaosmancer

Legend
Not all stores accept returns.

Don't most stores with a no return policy... have a sign letting the customer know that?

Seems to me if you were walking in to buy, sight unseen and with no research, a book from a store that didn't allow returns... you aren't the type of person to be upset by having the "wrong" book.

Chaosmancer

Legend
Two books, same title, book in question has multiple covers anyway...yeah, I think people who don't do the research folks on this site somehow assume everyone does might be confused.

So, these folks have done enough research to be aware of the collector's edition cover for the PHB, sold a few years ago. But they haven't heard about the 50th anniversary edition of the book? And the store they are going to isn't going to be advertising in any way that they are selling the 50th anniversary version of the biggest TTRPG in history?

And then, after buying this book that they have no idea what it is, the DM they find will both have no idea the two books are different, have never heard of the 50th anniversary PHB release, but will also be completely bamboozled by how a new player, using a book they have never seen before, is referencing rules they have never heard of and cannot find in their book?

And this DM will never possibly consider looking at the player's book, which would lead to them realizing there are two different books.

Instead, the confusion will simply destroy the group, scattering them to the four winds, never to understand what went wrong when they never communicated or had any curiosity about the different looking book that was at the table.

Do you people?

Remove ads