D&D (2024) We’ll be merging the One D&D and D&D forums shortly

FrogReaver

As long as i get to be the frog
Who said it has to denote there are major changes?

Once the DM who is using the older rules knows this hapless player with no idea what they purchased is using an altered set of the rules... won't they move to correct the situation? Tell the player that it would be easier to reference their old PHB which they can lend them, until they've had time to look over the book and see what changes there are? Maybe look up the new book online and discover that they got the 2024 Anniversary edition and look into?

That's why I'm trying to figure out where this terrible confusion is going to strike from that will cause such problems for the game. It seems to require the DM who is using the old rules to run a game for a new player who didn't know they have a different version of the rules, to be completely helpless in the face of a mystery or even the slightest inter-personal challenge. They must have zero curiosity about their friend, and zero impetus to help a new player adjust to the game. It is such a bizarre argument.
Figuring out you bought the wrong book after paying 50 dollars for it is the problem I’m talking about.

FitzTheRuke

Legend
There's another thing that we're not talking about that will end confusion over time: WotC is guaranteed to let the 2014 PHB go out of print. Sure, there's a LOT of PHBs in the wild, but at the rate we've been selling them, we will be down to "used" ones pretty quickly. And if you don't know that you are buying something used, then the seller is trying to pull a fast one. (Or in other words, maybe ask about what you are buying, still the best way to avoid confusion.)

Parmandur

Book-Friend
There's another thing that we're not talking about that will end confusion over time: WotC is guaranteed to let the 2014 PHB go out of print. Sure, there's a LOT of PHBs in the wild, but at the rate we've been selling them, we will be down to "used" ones pretty quickly. And if you don't know that you are buying something used, then the seller is trying to pull a fast one. (Or in other words, maybe ask about what you are buying, still the best way to avoid confusion.)
By this point, conceivably they have already printed the last batch.

Yaarel

He Mage
Store Person: "It's a new version of the Player's Handbook. Yes, it'll work with your average current D&D game - though you might want to ask your DM if they have any objections."
That might work at your store, because you know what you are talking about when you discuss D&D.

At an other store, the response might:

"Why are you asking me? I just work here."

TwoSix

Dirty, realism-hating munchkin powergamer
For me, I see something like the new player bringing out their book... and the person with the old rules immediately identifying it and telling them they would prefer to use the older rules that they have, and here is their book.

Or I see the new player going through their character creation and the mentioning that they picked the pike for their Weapon Mastery... and the person with the old rules identifying that those rules aren't in their book, realizing the other player is using new rules, explain they would prefer to use the older rules, and here is their book.
Or make it even easier, and just let them use their new rules. It's just character rules, and they're all compatible.

So let me tell you young'uns back when 1e was changing to 2e.

There was no confusion

At worst there was a quick conversation on which ruleset was being used (or some sort of hybrid). If you bought and/or showed up with the wrong PHB, well, someone let you use theirs. It was not human sacrifice, dogs and cats living together, mass hysteria. There was, at most, a couple of seconds where the wrinkles were smoothed out, and then the game started.

And this was with an edition shift with more changes than what we're getting this year (although they did have enough compatability to be played together) and at a time when communication on what was happening was far harder to come by.

Face it, the vast majority of people aren't going to be confused by this, and those that are, the vast majority will have their confusion cleared up quickly. As for those who accidentally bought the wrong product, well, the vast majority of retailers have return and exchange policies for this exact situation. Attempting to steer this discussion by "lamenting" the theoretical and unlikely fate of the 0.1% of the 0.1% is, at best, disingenuous...

Last edited:

Micah Sweet

Level Up & OSR Enthusiast
So let me tell you young'uns back when 1e was changing to 2e.

There was no confusion

At worst there was a quick conversation on which ruleset was being used (or some sort of hybrid). If you bought and/or showed up with the wrong PHB, well, someone let you use theirs. It was not human sacrifice, dogs and cats living together, mass hysteria. There was, at most, a couple of seconds where the wrinkles were smoothed out, and then the game started.

And this was with an edition shift with more changes than what we're getting this year (although they did have enough compatability to be played together) and at a time when communication on what was happening was far harder to come by.

Face it, the vast majority of people aren't going to be confused by this, and those that are, the vast majority will have their confusion cleared up quickly. As for those who accidentally bought the wrong product, well, the vast majority of retailers have return and exchange policies for this exact situation. Attempting to steer this discussion by "lamenting" the theoretical and unlikely fate of the 0.1% of the 0.1% is, at best, disingenuous...
I wonder how much of the lack of confusion came from the book clearly being labeled as Second Edition at the time. TSR clearly wasn't afraid of calling it what it is, unlike WotC.

Remove ads