We got an official leak of One D&D OGL 1.1! Watch Our Discussion And Reactions!

Ondath

Hero
I lurked on the reddit thread a bit more, and some lawyers there chimed in to say that OGL v1.0a would, in fact, be unavailable if OGL v1.1 does pronounce v1.0a to be unauthorised, but that the whole thing would lead to a protracted legal battle about what "authorise" even means — which, given WotC's deep pockets, probably won't be good for any 3PPs wanting to keep OGL v1.0a alive.

The more I think about it, the less I can make heads or tails of the whole situation. I just know I don't like it.

Edit: I asked the lawyer in question why they thought @Alzrius's workaround would not work, and this is what they said (in an unofficial capacity that does not act as legal advice, obviously): "I think this is likely a flawed interpretation - the Open Game License 1.0a starts with WotC and grows from there. Every use and instance relies on it being an active document, because every one of the sublicensee's rights requires the original license to be intact."

So if this interpretation is right, everything from FATE's SRD to Pathfinder to Level Up A5E would suddenly need to contend with the terms of OGL v1.1.

Last edited:

Alzrius

The EN World kitten
I lurked on the reddit thread a bit more, and some lawyers there chimed in to say that OGL v1.0a would, in fact, be unavailable if OGL v1.1 does pronounce v1.0a to be unauthorised, but that the whole thing would lead to a protracted legal battle about what even "authorise" means — which, given WotC's deep pockets, probably won't be good for any 3PPs wanting to keep OGL v1.0a alive.

The more I think about it, the less I can make heads or tails of the whole situation. I just know I don't like it.
Paging @S'mon for thoughts on this? Note the screenshot on the first page summarizing what the leak purports.

darjr

I crit!
The video doesn't go into much more detail than what is already posted.

And even they say the leak may not be legit. And they reiterate it's not final until released from WotC.

I'm interested in the leak that it was supposed to be widely released today from WotC anyway.

Remove ads