We got an official leak of One D&D OGL 1.1! Watch Our Discussion And Reactions!

Slander

Explorer
My non professional idea would be that you're getting small publishers free riding off the bigger publisher. How many people are buying D&D in order to play amazing third party products?
Spitballing, but 3PP likely affects churn rate more than acquisition. A lot of 3PP target GMs more than players. If WotC retains a GM because 3PP covers a topic WotC doesn't, it retains that GM plus all of that GMs players. Some portion of those players then become DnD GMs and the cycle continues. Is that enough to impact WotCs bottom line? They clearly think not.

Ondath

Hero
My non professional idea would be that you're getting small publishers free riding off the bigger publisher. How many people are buying D&D in order to play amazing third party products?
This is one way to look at it, but at the time it was designed, WotC really didn't see it that way. Ryan Dancey (the man behind the OGL) explained the rationale behind the OGL by saying that TSR had started competing with itself by releasing too many supplementary products (adventures, add-on rules, settings etc.). One benefit of the OGL for WotC would be off-loading the supplementary products to smaller third-party groups, and since all of these would still need the core rules to be used, D&D would benefit from being the biggest fish that uses the OGL while allowing more 3PPs to create stuff within its ecosystem.

That claim was a big part of why the OGL was originally created. The belief, espoused by Ryan Dancey in particular, that "network externalities" drove the popularity of D&D.
It was discussed a lot on the "Gentleman's Agreement" pre-3.0 OGL discussion email group in 1999, which I was part of.
The idea was that more people knowing D&D rules meant more people played D&D. And, therefore, if you could make those rules even MORE commonly known, the biggest company with the biggest market share (WotC) would be the one that benefits the most from network growth.
What Ryan Dancey likely did NOT anticipate was where we are now where multiple people are using the OGL to create D&D clones that people can buy and play without any reference to D&D itself as currently in print, however. Which is exactly why the OSRIC guy, who's name slips my mind, had to deal with hasslin' from WOTC at the time, because that wasn't at all what they wanted the OGL to do. The whole existence of the OSR who ignores 5e and in fact disparages it in many instances was not the intent of the OGL at all. I can imagine why WOTC isn't thrilled with the actual result as opposed to the theoretical one.

Whizbang Dustyboots

Gnometown Hero
I can imagine why WOTC isn't thrilled with the actual result as opposed to the theoretical one.
OSRIC gave birth to the OSR movement, which WotC has been influenced by and hired designers from that scene, all the while energizing a group of players who had largely already moved on to other games or had just gone back to playing their tattered old copies of TSR games. It also kept people playing what was functionally D&D during a time when 4E had driven a lot of people away, which made it easy for people like me to come back when the 5E ruleset was more to my liking.

"My feelings got hurt because the OSRIC guy said 1E was better than modern systems" is a very dumb rationale to make a business decision. I guess we should be glad they didn't buy a social media network, at least.

mamba

Legend
What Ryan Dancey likely did NOT anticipate was where we are now where multiple people are using the OGL to create D&D clones that people can buy and play without any reference to D&D itself as currently in print, however. Which is exactly why the OSRIC guy, who's name slips my mind, had to deal with hasslin' from WOTC at the time, because that wasn't at all what they wanted the OGL to do. The whole existence of the OSR who ignores 5e and in fact disparages it in many instances was not the intent of the OGL at all. I can imagine why WOTC isn't thrilled with the actual result as opposed to the theoretical one.
I find it difficult to argue that the OGL caused D&D / WotC harm when you look at the market and how dominant D&D is

Whizbang Dustyboots

Gnometown Hero
What I'm hung up on is, even very recently, WotC's line was that what they really cared about was people play D&D, in whatever form. Now it seems they have contracted that desire. A lot.
There is no "WotC." There are people who work there. This all feels very much like two or three top execs who don't get the world of open source having a knee jerk reaction and the power to not listen to arguments to the contrary.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases