We got an official leak of One D&D OGL 1.1! Watch Our Discussion And Reactions!

"My feelings got hurt because the OSRIC guy said 1E was better than modern systems" is a very dumb rationale to make a business decision. I guess we should be glad they didn't buy a social media network, at least.
Do you think anyone who ruined the profitability of Star Wars, Star Trek, Dr. Who, or Marvel Phase 4 had GOOD rationale's for doing so? Corporations are full of people, and lots of people are either stupid or brainwashed into cult-like behavior that isn't in their best interest. Happens every day.

Imagine finishing an epic campaign to have the plot twist that the BBEGs are some ex-Microsoft, soul-less executives and a team of lawyers who are suing you in real life for daring to play the game you want to instead of the way they want you to.

Do you think anyone who ruined the profitability of Star Wars, Star Trek, Dr. Who, or Marvel Phase 4 had GOOD rationale's for doing so? Corporations are full of people, and lots of people are either stupid or brainwashed into cult-like behavior that isn't in their best interest. Happens every day.
I'm extremely confused if this post is a joke or sarcastic or not, because all four of the things you're saying had "ruined profitability" are extremely successful. I mean, you don't have to like it, but the figures speak for themselves. None of them are flops, and the same people who "ruined" Star Trek with Discovery (I guess?) made Strange New Worlds which is universally acclaimed.

Maybe get some actual examples?

I'm extremely confused if this post is a joke or sarcastic or not, because all four of the things you're saying had "ruined profitability" are extremely successful. I mean, you don't have to like it, but the figures speak for themselves. None of them are flops, and the same people who "ruined" Star Trek with Discovery (I guess?) made Strange New Worlds which is universally acclaimed.

I wish the 'flops and failures' that people think big companies face on all my friends.

Batman V Superman
4e
Star Trek Discovery
The worst star wars film (YMMV)

I hope all of you ALSO suffer set backs and flops like those.

Losing half of your revenue movie to movie and destroying the profitability of your merchandise is "extremely successful?" Having ratings so low that they could be on the last level of a Gygaxian megadungeon is "extremely successful?" Yeah, the figures speak for themselves alright, and they say the exact opposite of what you think that they do.

Losing half of your revenue movie to movie and destroying the profitability of your merchandise is "extremely successful?"
I mean, that didn't happen? So I'm not sure what you're saying here. That's not true of any of the franchises you're describing, and particularly excited to learn the metrics by which the "profitability" of Dr Who, a product made by the BBC, a non-profit corporation, is going to be measured. You can't just make up that things failed because you want them to fail lol.

I know Paramount+ is really feeling that destroyed profitability with Star Trek - oh wait - Paramount Streaming CEO Attributes Paramount+’s Success to Leveraging ’The Whole Household’ (Podcast)

Literally what are you talking about?

FrogReaver

As long as i get to be the frog
For the lawyers, what is your opinion of this lawyer's reasoning that Hasbro cannot revoke the OGL 1.0a (except possibly after 35 years following 1.0a's release or if one accepts using the terms of 1.1) ?
Great video. A little long but it's the definitive explanation of the situation. *At least until we get the actual full text of the actual OGL 1.1.

That said, the risk factor of not having sure legal footing is probably going to be quite chilling for 3pp.

Also, someone really needs to make a text summary of this videos main points.

Last edited:

What Ryan Dancey likely did NOT anticipate was where we are now where multiple people are using the OGL to create D&D clones that people can buy and play without any reference to D&D itself as currently in print, however. Which is exactly why the OSRIC guy, who's name slips my mind, had to deal with hasslin' from WOTC at the time, because that wasn't at all what they wanted the OGL to do. The whole existence of the OSR who ignores 5e and in fact disparages it in many instances was not the intent of the OGL at all. I can imagine why WOTC isn't thrilled with the actual result as opposed to the theoretical one.
Ryan did anticipate that, actually.
He just stated it could never hurt WotC sales because WotC would have to do 5 specific, obviously detrimental things WotC would never, ever do, all at once, for anyone to be able to create a game using the OGL that could bite into their customer base.
WotC then did all 5, at once, in 2008.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases