D&D 5E We have a Legends and Lore this week

Sadrik

First Post
The main problem I see is what about monster HP. A group of orcs take an ancient fortress out in the wilderness. They are not in posh comfortable living conditions so now they have 1/2 HP. In fact most monsters have 1/2 HP now, only those that must be repaired or regenerate is some way or living in comfortable civilized conditions get full HP.

The overall system needs to be looked at in a holistic way. There are a lot of factors that go into HP, damage, and healing. I'll list some: AC, DR, fast healing, regeneration, hardness, objects, repairing, these all need to be taken into account in addition to the other things brought up on this thread.

AC alone represents so much, it is how tough you are. Can the creature puncture my armor? DR, if it punctures my armor do I reduce the damage from the attack? And regeneration and fast healing could be taken into account. What about the heal skill and care from a healer, or simply first aid?

The starting place should be no healing. I am on board with whoever said that. Then add various things on top based on DM choice. A spell, a healers care, a particularly nasty area where party is filled with dread. The game effects for these could be very different for each depending on DM choice.

The early editions effectively had no healing it was so minescule. Most healing was magical. A high con score gave you regeneration which was cool, but through resting alone healing was minimal.

For my personal games, I am rooting for something akin to the wounds/vitality system. So hopefully that will be one of the options to pick from otherwise I will have to make my own system.

Ichneumon

First Post
The idea of a safe resting place alludes to the concept of a haven, which Gary Gygax mentioned in the 1e DMG. This is a place where PCs expect to feel safe and not face danger. A very similar concept would be the "point of light" in 4e. I predict that under the proposed system, full recovery will require the PCs to visit a haven. By default, this is a civilized, friendly group of dwellings (village, town, city), though other types of haven are possible.

It's hard to define a haven in ways that can't be picked apart, though as a baseline the DM and players should agree on whether the PCs are in one. As a rule of thumb, if the PCs feel nervous enough to guard themselves while they sleep, they aren't in a haven. Of course, havens can lose their status (temporarily or permanently) via invasion, dragon attack, or the like.

Falling Icicle

Adventurer
Problem is, it wasn't actually that clear in other editions when rest actually counted. After all, in 3e there is significant difference in healing rates between resting outdoors and resting in a bed in a house (4 times healing speed). So, it's not like this is totally unprecedented.

But, this is a bit besides my point. These articles are not rules. They are the starting points for rules. Starting down the rules lawyering road at this point is very premature.

So you don't think anyone should comment on anything that is said in those articles until they've become rules in the finished game (and it's too late to do anything about it)? That kind of defeats the whole purpose of the playtest. I don't need to see this as a rule in the finished product to know that I don't like it. Putting restrictions on the hit points characters can regain from resting (whatever the specifics may be, it doesn't matter) only serves to increase the party's dependency on healing classes such as the cleric, and forces those classes to spend even more of their resources on healing, which isn't fun for them, either.

Stalker0

Legend
So you don't think anyone should comment on anything that is said in those articles until they've become rules in the finished game (and it's too late to do anything about it)? That kind of defeats the whole purpose of the playtest. I don't need to see this as a rule in the finished product to know that I don't like it.

I think in this instance, the issue i'm having is that wotc gave us this rule with a big disclaimer:

1) Many of you will not like this rule.
2) We will have a number of other options for people who don't like this rule.

So saying "i don't like the rule because of x" is simply proving the rule in this case.

Now if wotc released all of its healing options, and people didn't like any of them, then that's a fair concern. But if ultimately we all get a healing rule that is at least close to what we want, even if its not the default rule, then i think its the best we can hope for.

S

Sunseeker

The idea of a safe resting place alludes to the concept of a haven, which Gary Gygax mentioned in the 1e DMG. This is a place where PCs expect to feel safe and not face danger. A very similar concept would be the "point of light" in 4e. I predict that under the proposed system, full recovery will require the PCs to visit a haven. By default, this is a civilized, friendly group of dwellings (village, town, city), though other types of haven are possible.

It's hard to define a haven in ways that can't be picked apart, though as a baseline the DM and players should agree on whether the PCs are in one. As a rule of thumb, if the PCs feel nervous enough to guard themselves while they sleep, they aren't in a haven. Of course, havens can lose their status (temporarily or permanently) via invasion, dragon attack, or the like.

I don't really like the rules defining what does or does not constitute a "safe place" outside of specific adventures or campaigns. I like having guidelines on what should or shouldn't be considered safe though, but I think it should always remain DM discretion to allow players to get a "full rest" or something else.

Remove ads