• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

We need a cool new name for character optimizers...

Kaodi

Hero
Well, even if we already have a cool new term, we can always plan ahead for when that one wears out. How about, " Crunchers " or " Crunchies " ? Yes... " Crunchy " like Junky! Muahahahahahahahaha!

Drowbane

First Post
I consider myself a Powergamer.

Min/Maxer doesn't quite cover it. You can powergame a character that isn't completely Min/Maxed.

Last edited:

takasi

First Post
Stat Grinders?

Sheet Junkies?

Number Jockeys?

Happy Cows? (It's usually where all the good cheese comes from, or so I'm told.)

Bacris

First Post
Munchkin is neither cool nor a proper term for optimizers as a group, as munchkins are a subsection of optimizers that powergame to the detriment of the rest of the players. :p

And anyone that says they don't optimize when they choose a feat that makes their character better is lying. :p There may be varying degrees, but unless you roll a dice to choose your feats, classes, skill ranks, and equipment, you're an optimizer to some extent ;)

Whizbang Dustyboots

Gnometown Hero
You can't be an optimizer "to an extent." "Optimum" doesn't mean "pretty good," it means "best."

Merely picking a pretty good feat doesn't make one an optimizer. Crafting a character as a Frankenstein's monster of feats, skill tricks, prestige classes and gear resulting in an unholy super-_________________, THAT's optimization.

Bacris

First Post
Ah, but I disagree.

If you choose Spell Focus (Conjuration) because it's the best choice for your character, you've just made the optimum choice. You've just optimized your feat choice. When you pick your wizard spell slots, the choices you make are those you consider the best for the day. You've just optimized them.

Optimization is not all-or-nothing and is totally subjective. :)

takasi

First Post
Bacris said:
If you choose Spell Focus (Conjuration) because it's the best choice for your character, you've just made the optimum choice.

So if my barbarian takes this feat and has no ability to cast spells and I have no plans to take a spellcasting class in the future, am I still making the "optimum choice" for my character?

I agree that optimal is subjective, but only because it depends on what you're trying to be best at. Usually players are trying to create effective characters, but that does not mean that every decision they make is the best (or even intended to be the best).

Remove ads