D&D 5E We need a Monster Manual II

Beleriphon

Totally Awesome Pirate Brain
You aren't giving the IP to WotC. What you are doing is allowing anybody else on the DMsG to use your monster in their work. So say I come up with the Brightened-Mangler-and-Carpeater monster and post it to The DMs Guild. What Morrus can then do is use the BMaC (;)) in an adventure he publishes on DMsG. I still retain the rights to that monster, but by publishing it on the DMsG I license it to other people to use.

WotC can't take my BMaC and publish a "The Big Book of BMaCs and their Habits", since I own the IP for BMaCs. But, WotC might offer to outright buy the BMaC from me, but that's a different kettle of fish than the Dugeon Master's Guild.

S

Sunseeker

Personally, I'd like some smaller, supplemental books of "progressively tougher bad guys" so that I don't have to throw a monster menagire at my players. So like a "Big Book of Soliders". Or "Book of Bad*** Orcs" or something like that so that if I want my players to fight less fantastical enemies at level 12, I'll have a good idea of what those should look like. I'd be fine if these were sold as PDFs on the DMsG or as physical supplements like we had for races in 4e.

BMaC

Adventurer
You aren't giving the IP to WotC. What you are doing is allowing anybody else on the DMsG to use your monster in their work. So say I come up with the Brightened-Mangler-and-Carpeater monster and post it to The DMs Guild. What Morrus can then do is use the BMaC (;)) in an adventure he publishes on DMsG. I still retain the rights to that monster, but by publishing it on the DMsG I license it to other people to use.

WotC can't take my BMaC and publish a "The Big Book of BMaCs and their Habits", since I own the IP for BMaCs. But, WotC might offer to outright buy the BMaC from me, but that's a different kettle of fish than the Dugeon Master's Guild.

Beleriphon, actually, they can pretty much do whatever they want with poor BMaC one it goes on the DMGuild.

(b) Exclusive License to your Work. Effective as of the date you setup your Work through the Program on OBS’s website, you grant us the exclusive, irrevocable license for the full term of copyright protection available (including renewals), to develop,

license, reproduce, print, publish, distribute, translate, display, publicly perform and transmit your Work, in whole and in part, in each country in the world, in all languages and formats, and by all means now known or later developed, and the right to prepare derivative works of your Work.

(c) Exclusive License to all User Generated Content in your Work. Effective as of the date we first make your Work available through the Program, you grant us the exclusive, irrevocable license for the full term of copyright protection available (including renewals), to all User Generated Content included in your Work. You agree that the User Generated Content is available for unrestricted use by us without any additional compensation, notification or attribution, including that we may allow other Program authors, the Owner and other third parties to use the User Generated Content.

If I had a problem with that I wouldn't use the DM Guild. I don't actually unless I was an established RPG author, but then I wouldn't need the DMGuild. So my original post was just pointing out that for the hobbyist/occasional DMGuild author, it would be nice to have more monsters officially released by WoTC. The three main collections from Frog God, Koblod, and reddit are fantastic, can't be used in the DMsGuild.

Bad Fox

First Post
A question that Mike Mearls asked on Twitter a couple days ago makes me think that a new Monster Manual is at least in the planning stages...

"Hello Dungeon Masters of the world: Did we overlook any NPCs you need in appendix B of the Monster Manual? If so, what do you need?"

werecorpse

Adventurer
A question that Mike Mearls asked on Twitter a couple days ago makes me think that a new Monster Manual is at least in the planning stages...

"Hello Dungeon Masters of the world: Did we overlook any NPCs you need in appendix B of the Monster Manual? If so, what do you need?"

That's hopeful (although NPC types to reskin are perhaps the easiest thing for 3rd parties to design. You don't have to worry about your castle guard becoming redundant but your choker might)
For me the main thing is
- low level spell casters other than cleric or Druid.
- high level spell casters other than archmage

CapnZapp

Legend
About high level spellcasters: the difficult bit isn't to give them levels, hit points, AC, saves and so on.

It's working out a strategy for their spells.

What we need isn't more Archmages, we need more spell lists including "tactics" sections that relieve the overworked DM.

Which buff spell does he or she start the fight with? Does he or she spend a round to cast another if concentration for the first one is broken, and if so, which one?

Then, which attack spells does he cast?

Does she have any contingency spells (such as teleporting away at half hp)?

What use are the other spells for? That is, why did he prepare the spells that he did?

That's easily 90% of the work behind a memorable NPC spellcaster. Giving him AC 18, 120 hp and +7 against all mental saves is comparably easy. I mean, I just did it and it took me 20 seconds.

Six months ago I would have agreed with you. But no.... With Fifth Edition Foes, Tome of Beasts coming soon, and the DMs Guild I don't see as much need for that product. I have as many monsters as I want.
And 3rd Party monster books are among the easiest to buy and use, since you only need t worry about balance for one fight.

Six months ago I would have agreed with you. But no.... With Fifth Edition Foes, Tome of Beasts coming soon, and the DMs Guild I don't see as much need for that product. I have as many monsters as I want.
And 3rd Party monster books are among the easiest to buy and use, since you only need t worry about balance for one fight.

Those are nice, but I want D&D IP monsters from previous editions officially updated. There are still a ton of monsters I like from previous editions out there that there was simply not enough room for in the Monster Manual. In fact, I have a list (that I'll post here one these days when I get the time and energy) of the 100 D&D creatures I'd like to see updated in a putative MM2.

WotC doesn't need to go overboard like previous editions (was anyone really using much from the 3e MM4 and MM5?), but a MM2 and a FF should be enough to fully update the vast majority of old D&D monsters, both the useful and fondly-remembered.

Last edited:

Those are nice, but I want D&D IP monsters from previous editions officially updated. There are still a ton of monsters I like from previous editions out there that there was simply not enough room for in the Monster Manual. In fact, I have a list (that I'll post here one these days when I get the time and energy) of the 100 D&D creatures I'd like to see updated in a putative MM2.

WotC doesn't need to go overboard like previous editions (was anyone really using much from the 3e MM4 and MM5?), but a MM2 and a FF should be enough to fully update the vast majority of old D&D monsters, both the useful and fondly-remembered.
Anyone making content for the DMs Guild can update classic IP monsters. Provided they're from the Realms or a generic setting.

It'd be a good place for new designers to make a name, providing good updates for monsters and building a reputation.

Anyone making content for the DMs Guild can update classic IP monsters. Provided they're from the Realms or a generic setting.

It'd be a good place for new designers to make a name, providing good updates for monsters and building a reputation.

But, as was said earlier in the thread, few seem to want to risk it, since what they create might be instantly invalidated by an official WotC product. Yes, it will help raise an author's reputation and help out in the short run, but no creator wants to see his or her works made meaningless. So we're in a bit of a holding pattern as a result, since WotC is holding their cards close to their chests on any release schedule - if we knew a MM2 were forthcoming soon, then we'd probably see a lot of updated creatures ready to go right after (those that were "missed"); or, if we knew that no MM2 was in the works, people would be more likely to get started with updates as well. This isn't a knock against what WotC is doing (they are definitely doing well in building up anticipation for releases), but it is causing something of a block when it comes to monster updates...

Remove ads