• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

We saw a Star War! Last Jedi spoiler thread

robus

Lowcountry Low Roller
Supporter
If that's your rationalization, then why isn't "Godspeed" a metaphor for "good wishes" or "good luck"?
Embrace it, then I can lower the cherry picker for you.

Because to say "good luck" or "best wishes" (especially in a critical moment) in Star Wars, you say "May the force be with you".

Mallus

Legend
Because to say "good luck" or "best wishes" (especially in a critical moment) in Star Wars, you say "May the force be with you".
So they don't have more than one expression in their galaxy-spanning culture/amalgamation of cultures? Something that translates, roughly, as "godspeed"? Fascinating. Is that explained somewhere in the EU, because I admit I'm not familiar with much of it.

Seriously, though, Holdo says "May the Force be with you always" when it counted, so no worries there.

Last edited:

OB1

Jedi Master
I think the scene in the cave shows that the Dark Side can't offer her anything. She basically goes for the Dark Side (Cave) because it promises an answer. But instead, it gives her just a reflection of herself. Nothing that solves her questions. The Dark Side is just making empty promises to her. That might be what makes her "immune" to the temptations of the Dark Side.

I am afraid that the whole new Star Wars trilogy suffers also a bit from them not having a big game plan for the story of the 3 movies.

Re: the cave - isn’t the dark side all about selfishness? What’s more selfish than seeing yourself as the only thing that exists. The only thing you need? The only thing that matters?

Re: the plan. Each trilogy follows a different Skywalker. This one follows Kylo’s rise to Supreme Leader of the Galaxy. He just did what Vader never could, defeat and take power from his master. His downfall, and the end of the demigod Skywalker bloodline, will be the focus of the third movie, finally allowing the galaxy to truly rebalance itself for the first time since the Skywalkers were created by Plagieus.

Sent from my iPhone using EN World mobile app

robus

Lowcountry Low Roller
Supporter
So they don't have more than one expression in their galaxy-spanning culture/amalgamation of cultures? Something that translates, roughly, as "godspeed"? Fascinating. Is that explained somewhere in the EU, because I admit I'm not familiar with much of it.

Seriously, though, Holdo says "May the Force be with you always" when it counted, so no worries there.

Who knows? I’m just saying that when i heard it, it was shocking - it seemed so out of place. Something that Han’s “hell” reference didn’t do. I guess it’s just me :)

Hmm, this makes me think there's another dividing line as well: those that wanted a continuation of the story of the characters in the PT and OT. I'm personally happy to not see another movie about a Skywalker, so I don't need to see all the off camera action about Luke -- the story presented is consistent with the character in the OT, so that's enough for me. What I want is the handoff from the old characters to the new, and for the story to be about the new characters as much as possible. This means that Luke is a tool of the plot in TLJ, not the focus of it, and I like that. If, instead, you want the see the continuation of the story of the OT characters, I can easily see how this movie disappoints by skipping over a detailed telling of the events in their lives up to this point.

I got the point in TFA that these weren't stories about the OT characters anymore. So, I wasn't disappointed when TLJ didn't spend a lot of time on Luke's story.
I would be really fine if they hadn't put them in the new movies at all, or only as, say holographic recordings. But that isn't what they went for.

But it did spend a lot of time on Luke. He's a major figure in TLJ, and even undergoes his own character development in the movie, from grumpy ex-Jedi that never wants to use the Force again and the Jedi religion to die, to someone that is willing to use his to save the Resistance and teach Kylo Ren a final lesson. He's considerably more effective than most protagonists.
But we don't actually get to see how Luke even got the grumpy ex-Jedi, we're just giving a weak flashback to a single scene in his past that is trying to sell us all this character change since RotJ.

Realistically, Luke's story is probably done at the end of RotJ. Afterwards, it's just an Happily Everafter for him and we don't really need to see his specifics.

If you want to "restart" Star Wars because the original actors are too old, you best start way after the original characters have left the stage and don't drag them out again.

Last edited:

Ovinomancer

No flips for you!
I would be really fine if they hadn't put them in the new movies at all, or only as, say holographic recordings. But that isn't what they went for.

But it did spend a lot of time on Luke. He's a major figure in TLJ, and even undergoes his own character development in the movie, from grumpy ex-Jedi that never wants to use the Force again and the Jedi religion to die, to someone that is willing to use his to save the Resistance and teach Kylo Ren a final lesson. He's considerably more effective than most protagonists.
But we don't actually get to see how Luke even got the grumpy ex-Jedi, we're just giving a weak flashback to a single scene in his past that is trying to sell us all this character change since RotJ.

Realistically, Luke's story is probably done at the end of RotJ. Afterwards, it's just an Happily Everafter for him and we don't really need to see his specifics.

If you want to "restart" Star Wars because the original actors are too old, you best start way after the original characters have left the stage and don't drag them out again.
Really? You think that a new Start Wars trilogy could fly with no reference to the characters of the previous trilogies? I don't think so; there really needed to be a handoff.

As for Luke's contribution, it was entirely a handoff to Rey. While he was effective to the plot, yes, it was entirely in service to the new characters. He also wrapped up his arc by definitively becoming the Jedi Master you imagined at the end of RotJ, but that we never saw. Yoda himself showed up to say that failure is a crucial lesson for Jedi. Luke had to have a failure for that to hold, and I don't think a full rendition of that failure on screen is necessary. They showed the crucial bits necessary to the story, and necessary for Luke's closure. I really don't understand the need to see a full accounting of all that led up to that failure.

Also, as a practical point, how do you imagine they could show that story between RotJ and now only with the older cast of the actors available? They had old actors to work with, and thus had to skip a detailed retelling of the story in between. Unless you have a fountain of youth tucked away?

Also, as a practical point, how do you imagine they could show that story between RotJ and now only with the older cast of the actors available? They had old actors to work with, and thus had to skip a detailed retelling of the story in between. Unless you have a fountain of youth tucked away?
Well, if you can't tell that story, you probably should just say that the more or less boring expected stuff happens. Luke builds a Jedi Order, Han and Leia have a family, the Republic was built up, they are now old enough to basically retire and so they are happy to provide advice or lend the new heroes that come along a cool ship, but they have reason to believe that others can take care of their problems.

Ovinomancer

No flips for you!
Well, if you can't tell that story, you probably should just say that the more or less boring expected stuff happens. Luke builds a Jedi Order, Han and Leia have a family, the Republic was built up, they are now old enough to basically retire and so they are happy to provide advice or lend the new heroes that come along a cool ship, but they have reason to believe that others can take care of their problems.

I feel their eradication of the remnants of the Empire is unearned, and we need to see that story. I also think that Luke building a Jedi temple and teaching a new crop of students feels unearned -- that's not a trivial undertaking, especially given his limited training in the Jedi arts. They should show this as well.

See how this works? This isn't a valid complaint about storytelling processes, otherwise you're rendering unusable the use of in media res. This, instead, reads like a complaint about the story they chose, rather than the methods they used to tell it.

And that's valid -- not liking the story told is perfectly valid. But you should ask yourself if you didn't like it because it was a bad story or because it conflicts with your preconceptions for the characters.

hopeless

Adventurer
So far Battlefront 2 has done the better job of being a sequel and prologue to TFA!

TLJ just seems to deal with clearing the board with little or no story to function as a sequel.

Apparently they think Twilight would be a good inspiration for a Stat Wars movie but either ignoring what happened to the other characters in the previous movie or actually thinks the villain is the lead protagonist instead of antagonist?

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads