Weakness by Edition

CruelSummerLord

First Post
Many of the issues I have with the systems have already been mentioned, but I'll throw in my two coppers worth:

-First Edition's problem was, again, that the characters were too similar. There's not much to distinguish Flint Fireforge from Caramon Majere, for example, besides their ability scores and weapon types. The level limits for demihumans were too arbitrary and low.

-Second Edition was neutered for Pat Pulling and the other mothers who couldn't be bothered to be responsible parents. No demons or devils, the bad guys always suffer humiliating defeats, etc. General institutional rot creeped in around this time too, with endless series of splatbooks strangling the market. Greyhawk was destroyed, violated by the Greyhawk Wars and From The Ashes.

-Third Edition, as frankthedm, hewligan, firesnakearies and others have pointed out, had it built into the rules that characters required a specific number and type of magical items to maintain play balance, something which blows chunks if you're one of those people who prefers a lower-magic game or story, like me.

I also think there was a larger failing in 3E than simply with designs. Some respondents here have criticized the anyone-can-do-anything design mentality of 3E, and the subsequent focus on combat and combat powers above all else, with players focusing on "building" the perfect killing machine through min-maxing. Admittedly, I'm not a gamer and so what I'm thinking might have no base, but perhaps less of an emphasis on combat alone (as the CR system was so integral to the working of the game as a whole) led many players simply to focus on doing as much damage possible in a round. If there had been more emphasis on building a specific type of character in mind, whether it be a bookish, pacifistic priest (like I once generated for an online game with the DM's help), or a rogue who specializes in scouting and guerilla warfare, and designing towards that, rather than simply creating characters that could mow down the most enemies in a round, maybe it would have helped. I don't know.

I haven't played Fourth Edition, so I won't otherwise criticize it save to say that in my view they commited a cardinal sin in dispensing with the Greyhawk/Forgotten Realms conventions, as pawsplay pointed out. Dragonborn, eladrin and tieflings have no place in conventional D&D. As optional or setting-specific races, sure, but if I were a DM I'd be more than a little upset at having to retcon my world to make room for these things, when gnomes and half-orcs are sitting on the sidelines.

To be blunt, it's just not D&D without gnomes and half-orcs. That's my view, of course, but it's one I stick to.

JDJblatherings

First Post
Things I haven't seen mentioned yet:
1e: Most characters of the same class are identical. Fighters are fighters, especially after they get their first set of Gauntlets of Ogre Power and are looking for their first Belt of Giant Strength (hill). Thieves are thieves, wizards all have the same set of maximally useful spells, clerics are all tanks with healing spells, etc. Very little customization.

A fighter specializing in longbow was very different from one that specialized in the two handed sword (even when not using the UA rules). MU's don't all have the same set of spells, one might never be able to learn some spells. Clerics have fewer healing spells available in 1st edition compared to future editions.

Herschel

Adventurer
1e: First and somewhat disorganized. It took FOREVER to play a bard.

2e: Sacrificed some organization clean-up in the name of setting enhancement. Could play a bard immediately, but why? Introduced what would become splatbooks in 3e. Was easy to "house rule", but maybe that's because some were needed.

3e: Neutered the DM with rules for EVERYTHING while pandering to Munchkins. Splat book mania abounded. Basically nullified playing humans with "be whatever you want" and bigger stat boosts. Said "Balance? Who needs it? I have an astronomical AC and attack bonus and need a Gibson to calculate damage!" ****Did away with THAC0, probably the coolest term in gaming history.**** Arms race vs. role playing.

4e: Gave DM power back, but rigidly structured still and not very organic. Healing mechanic is just stupid and encounters can have a very "video game" feel. Took a lot of flavor away from spells with attack rolls. At ground zero of a fireball, you take damage if not immune to fire. Period. Duck & cover for half if you save. These are AREA effects and you're standing in the middle of said area. Characters far more generic statistically in most methods, relying on chosen powers for differentiation.

Last edited:

Storm Raven

First Post
DUNGEONS & DRAGONS (1999): I'm going to level my biggest criticisms of this version of the game right here

Some of your criticisms make sense to me, even if I don't agree with them, but a couple just made me go "huh?", how did he get to THAT idea?

...firstly the "anyone as an anything" was a huge error, IMO. The want or need to play a human just went out the door.

This. I've seen more humans played under the 3/3.5 rule set than all the other editions combined. Humans were made more attractive than any other race, at least in my experience. I wonder why you think there is no 'want or need" to play them under the 3e rules.

Unfortunately, sense motive suffers from the same problem that a lot of things in 3e suffers from and that's player entitlement. Okay, the king says "Please go rescue my daughter from the evil high priest". Player says "I want to make a sense motive check - why is he so willing to let us go do this when he just sprung us from the gaol?" Well...the king said what he said. Well no, no, the player rolled a "20" so you as the DM are bound to let the player know that no, the king's daughter is two kingdoms away getting married, he's just trying to send you to a more convenient doom since you're popular with the commoners. But how did you figure that out, all he said was "X"? Doesn't matter - you sensed motive!

Once again, huh? How do you get this result from the rules for the Sense Motive skill? The text of Sense Motive says:

A successful check lets you avoid being bluffed. You can also use this skill to determine when “something is up” (that is, something odd is going on) or to assess someone’s trustworthiness.

Hunch: This use of the skill involves making a gut assessment of the social situation. You can get the feeling from another’s behavior that something is wrong, such as when you’re talking to an impostor. Alternatively, you can get the feeling that someone is trustworthy.

Sense Enchantment: You can tell that someone’s behavior is being influenced by an enchantment effect (by definition, a mind-affecting effect), even if that person isn’t aware of it. The usual DC is 25, but if the target is dominated (see dominate person), the DC is only 15 because of the limited range of the target’s activities.

Discern Secret Message: You may use Sense Motive to detect that a hidden message is being transmitted via the Bluff skill. In this case, your Sense Motive check is opposed by the Bluff check of the character transmitting the message. For each piece of information relating to the message that you are missing, you take a -2 penalty on your Sense Motive check. If you succeed by 4 or less, you know that something hidden is being communicated, but you can’t learn anything specific about its content. If you beat the DC by 5 or more, you intercept and understand the message. If you fail by 4 or less, you don’t detect any hidden communication. If you fail by 5 or more, you infer some false information.

Where do you get from this the idea that Sense Motive allows you to glean a pile of information not contained in a statement. Under the rules, as written, your player would get the impression that the king was concealing information, and was probably untrustworthy, but not the exact nature of what was being concealed, or anything approaching the detail you claim he would be entitled to. So, my question on this issue is the same: upon what do you base this idea about how the 3e rule set work?

Storm Raven

First Post
-Third Edition, as frankthedm, hewligan, firesnakearies and others have pointed out, had it built into the rules that characters required a specific number and type of magical items to maintain play balance, something which blows chunks if you're one of those people who prefers a lower-magic game or story, like me.

The problem is that every edition (except possibly 4e) was written with a "correct" amount of magic in mind. It is just that until 3e, they didn't bother to tell you what that amount was in anything but the vaguest of terms. In the 1e era, large amounts of the letters column and forum in Dragon was taken up by people trying to parse out what the "correct" amount of magic for characters to have actually was - and it turns out from examining the modules published at the time, that the "correct" amount for 1e was roughly what the 3e designers explicitly said it was for 3e.

I'd argue that this was the flaw in 1e and 2e - a lack of transparency. And that, if there is a criticism about requiring a certain level of magic items for the game to work well, that it is applicable to all of the editions.

(I'd argue that it is applicable to 4e was well, it is just that the "magic items" are hard-coded into the character class abilities, exacerbating the problem of trying to use the system to play a low-magic game).

I also think there was a larger failing in 3E than simply with designs. Some respondents here have criticized the anyone-can-do-anything design mentality of 3E, and the subsequent focus on combat and combat powers above all else, with players focusing on "building" the perfect killing machine through min-maxing. Admittedly, I'm not a gamer and so what I'm thinking might have no base, but perhaps less of an emphasis on combat alone (as the CR system was so integral to the working of the game as a whole) led many players simply to focus on doing as much damage possible in a round. If there had been more emphasis on building a specific type of character in mind, whether it be a bookish, pacifistic priest (like I once generated for an online game with the DM's help), or a rogue who specializes in scouting and guerilla warfare, and designing towards that, rather than simply creating characters that could mow down the most enemies in a round, maybe it would have helped. I don't know.

The issue here isn't so much with the CR system, but with how people used it. Combat encpounters are easy to think up, so lots of people did, but the CR system is about overcoming challenges - if the DM wanted to make the challenges ones that can be overcome with stealth, or diplomacy, or study and so on, he could, and the system would reward the characters as a result. The problem, in my experience, is DMs who wouldn't give experience for bypassing an enemy with stealth, or unraveling a mystery through research, and so on. The system probably should have been better written to emphasize this as a viable means of play, but the system does support it.

pawsplay

Hero
Diplomacy and Sense Motive are two of the most misunderstood rules in 3e. Diplomacy does not force anyone to do anything, and Sense Motive has some pretty clear limitations on what information it will give you.

Imp

First Post
To be fair, I think the larger point about dice-rolling being a get-out-of-thinking free card stands, more or less*, though I don't run Sense Motive like that either. (Actually, how common are Sense Motive ranks among PCs anyway? IME it tends to get neglected somehow. Maybe because it's based on Wis and most "face" types dump that stat; also maybe because you can't necessarily Bluff the players.)

I did also have the experience of humans being much more popular in 3e than in previous editions where it was elves elves elves.

Also I never parsed correct treasure amounts from modules in the 1e days, because I didn't buy a ton of the things. Nope, Treasure Type C is the kind of thing I went by. People who subscribed to Dragon were probably a self-selecting sample here.

*The DM-power-loss-issue in 3e can be countered by willpower, which is why I didn't rank it as the biggest problem.

Remove ads