Weapon and Armor Properties

Lord Zack

Explorer
In the Design and Development: Critical Hits article it shows us an example weapon, the War Pick. This weapon is shown to have a couple of properties, including high crit,which is described in the article and versatile, which is not described. I think this is a very good idea.This helps to differentiate two weapons that are otherwise similar and might make a weapon with less damage a more appealing choice, which will make different weapons be used more often.

I'm wondering if armor will have similar properties. This would be good for the reasons described above.

Abstraction

First Post
For my part, I am guessing that Versatile is property that means this weapon can be used for things other than killing. In other words, it is a tool of some kind. It might also mean it can break down doors, while a sword simply cannot.

Henry

Autoexreginated
Warhammer 2nd edition actually has a "descriptor" system for different weapons, such as "impact" (which means roll damage twice and pick the better one) or "swift" (meaning it has a better chance to parry a blow), etc. Those weapons are definitely not generic. Actually, where the weapons ARE generic, for general hand weapons like one-handed weapons such as hand axes, swords, and warhammers, it's a good thing because it means someone can use a certain hand weapon according to their personality and taste without losing out big time on weapon damage or other features.

BASHMAN

Basic Action Games
Maybe versatile means you can also use it as a different weapon, possibly at a penalty. A War Pick might also be usable as a hammer, maybe with -2 to hit. A Halberd might be versatile to use as a spear, axe, or even a staff...

Hella_Tellah

Explorer
I'd bet that versatile means it can be used to perform powers tied to another weapon type. We know that fighters will have powers specifically tied to their weapons, such as a spear power to bypass AC. Perhaps "versatile" in this case means that the pick can be used for both hammer and spear powers (since I doubt there will be pick powers).

LightPhoenix

First Post
Hella_Tellah said:
I'd bet that versatile means it can be used to perform powers tied to another weapon type. We know that fighters will have powers specifically tied to their weapons, such as a spear power to bypass AC. Perhaps "versatile" in this case means that the pick can be used for both hammer and spear powers (since I doubt there will be pick powers).

Carrying that a bit further - suppose that there aren't "sword" powers and "spear" powers, but rather broad categories. For example, there might be "slashing" powers, "piercing" powers, and "bludgeoning" powers. Perhaps versatile in this instance means it can be used with more than one group, or possibly with all of them.

LightPhoenix

First Post
Lord Zack said:
The article says Picks are a category of weapon. I bet that the category is what the weapon powers is tied to.

Why do you have to ruin my hopes and dreams?!?! :uhoh: :p

While I'd bet you're right, "pick" seems pretty narrow to me to be a category of weapon. Still, if a Fighter is very tied to his weapon, perhaps there will in fact be narrower categories.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases