Weapon Augment Crystals and the Soulknife's Mindblade?

Anticitizen One

First Post
Here's a question:

How do the Weapon Augment Crystals work with a soulknife's mindblade, or do they work at all?

As far as I can tell, this isn't addressed anywhere specifically in the rules, and I am curious to hear how other people would rule on it. It seems to me that if the crystals are not allowed to work with a mindblade, it's just one more thing that makes the soulknife a weaker than average class. Just about every other class can get decent use out of one of the crystals. But if you do allow them, it starts to get weird. What happens when the soulknife throws his mindblade, or drops it, or is disarmed? Does the crystal reappear and fall to the ground? Does it disappear with the mindblade, and reappear the next time the blade is formed? What happens if the soulknife is killed, does the crystal disappear? Has this come up in anyone else's game?

I'm looking forward to some input on this one. Thanks!

Tarek

Explorer
My own ruling would be that there's nothing to attach to for a mindblade, since it's basically a psionic construct that only exists temporarily.

Therefore augment crystals don't work. Sorry, soulknife, you'll have to get yourself a *real* magical weapon to use a weapon augment crystal.

Anticitizen One

First Post
Yeah, that's probably what the official ruling would be on this one. Still, it seems like it's just another slight against an already week class. Every other class can use them, except for the class that is dependent on a specific weapon.

Goblyn

Explorer
From your OP it sounds like this has(or will) come up in your game. I agree with your supposition of the officail ruling, and agree about it slighting the class. If you would like a fix, consider a marginally magical gauntlet that may be enchanted and would then transfer its enchantment to the wearer's mindblade. Said gauntlet(or any worn item, if you would rather) could come in different power levels(lesser =+1 max, normal=+3 max, greater=+5 Max). This is all house rule territory though, I would guess.

Anticitizen One

First Post
Goblyn said:
From your OP it sounds like this has(or will) come up in your game. I agree with your supposition of the officail ruling, and agree about it slighting the class. If you would like a fix, consider a marginally magical gauntlet that may be enchanted and would then transfer its enchantment to the wearer's mindblade. Said gauntlet(or any worn item, if you would rather) could come in different power levels(lesser =+1 max, normal=+3 max, greater=+5 Max). This is all house rule territory though, I would guess.

I kind of doubt we'll hear anything official coming out of WoTC on this issue with all the 4E madness going down at the moment.

I like the idea of the gauntlet, that's a pretty good compromise, though having three different version just seems like another kick to the soulknife's groin when he's down :) Instead, maybe the gauntlet could be a flat priced item that only allows a given weapon crystal to function only if the soulknife can summon a mindblade of the appropriate bonus? That's probably a good way to go.

Jhaelen

First Post
You cannot normally use augment crystals with a mind blade.

MIC introduces items that modify a mind blade's powers, like the adamantine mind blade gauntlets (p.68). So, you could use these as a model to create similar gauntlet types.

If you use Weapons of Legacy, there's another option:
The Mau-Jehe (p.114ff) is normally a +1 short sword. But if you are a soulknife as soon as you activate its least legacy you can convert it into a mind blade using the 'Knife Made Mind' ability. Since the weapon has a physical representation you should be able to use augment crystals normally.

iceifur

Explorer
Tarek said:
My own ruling would be that there's nothing to attach to for a mindblade, since it's basically a psionic construct that only exists temporarily.

Though it is worth noting that the mind blade can be sundered -- it has a real, tangible existence.

Personally, I'd say that augment crystals can be attached, but only if the blade has a +1 enhancement bonus or better (until then, it is neither a masterwork weapon nor a weapon with an enhancement bonus, so augment crystals won't function). If the blade is thrown, the crystal goes with it. If the blade dissipates, the crystal falls to the ground.

Goblyn

Explorer
Anticitizen One said:
I kind of doubt we'll hear anything official coming out of WoTC on this issue with all the 4E madness going down at the moment.

I like the idea of the gauntlet, that's a pretty good compromise, though having three different version just seems like another kick to the soulknife's groin when he's down :) Instead, maybe the gauntlet could be a flat priced item that only allows a given weapon crystal to function only if the soulknife can summon a mindblade of the appropriate bonus? That's probably a good way to go.

That's cool. Tailor it to your taste. I'm just giving suggestions. Jhaelen's are pretty good if you've got the books.

Kae'Yoss

First Post
Well, it's a mindblade, so put the stone on your mind. They take up your face slot. As your DM about that as an optional rule. Since you give up a body slot, unlike other classes, it should not put the soulknive at an advantage.

Remove ads