• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Weapon/Implement Transparency

Khuxan

First Post
Hi guys,

I've been trying to figure out what confuses and annoys me about 4E's weapon-implement-at-will-power mix. I think what I want is for implements to be identical to weapons - that is, each implement has a proficiency bonus, a set damage, a range, etc. Then every class's at-will powers would use [W].

Am I just being silly? Does this desire make sense to people and - if so - how do you recommend I implement it?

NMcCoy

Explorer
Proficiency bonus would be problematic: Implement attacks generally attack Fort/Ref/Will, which is generally lower than AC. Weapons get the proficiency bonus to compete with the higher defense they usually target.

Using weapon dice would throw off at least the flavor of some spells, if not the balance of their damage: Magic Missile's d4s are a welcome nod to tradition, and it's hard to see how to make it keep its relative damage advantage versus Ray of Frost or the at-will area attacks without making things awkward.

Mezzer

First Post
Khuxan said:
Am I just being silly? Does this desire make sense to people and - if so - how do you recommend I implement it?
Well, why do you see this as an issue?

From a mechanical standpoint, the game is finely balanced, with implement wielding characters doing set amounts of damage, and weapons wielders having a bit more choice and thus varied damage. This is further enforced with certain mechanics such as proficiency bonuses, weapon groups, target defenses and so on.

If you wanna change that simply because you read it, and didn't think it right, my advice is to not change a thing. Play a few games, get a few levels, see how all of this works out in the game. Then if you don't like it, house rule away, but take into account that changing something this basic will have far-stretching balance issues.

Remove ads